- PhD. in Informatics from Kyoto University, Japan (2008)
- MSc. in Radioelectronic Systems from Czech Technical University, Czech Republic (2003)
Member of Technical Staff
Stepan Kucera is a Member of Technical Staff at Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent, Dublin, Ireland since 2011. He received his Ph.D. degree in Informatics from the Graduate School of Informatics at Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, in 2008, and his M.Sc. degree from Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic, in 2003.
Between 2008 and 2011, he worked as a researcher at the National Institute for Telecommunications and Communications, Keihanna Research Laboratories, Japan, where he was involved in the development of technologies for digital communications over thin dielectric media with simultaneous “wireless” power supply to battery-less terminals.
Between 2006 and 2007, he served as an assistant researcher in the JSPS Center of Excellence at Kyoto University focusing on modern cellular networks for mobile communications. He was a principal investigator or collaborator in five major research projects that are related to networking and system engineering topics and were funded by agencies of European Union, Japan, and Czech Republic.
Dr. Kucera filed/holds over 20 patents related to 3G and 4G mobile networks, as well as proprietary wireless technologies. He is also the recipient of the Best Student Paper Award at IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Fall 2006 and the IEEE Kansai Student Researcher Encouragement Award in 2007, as well as was nominated for the IEICE Young Researcher Encouragement Award in 2009 and the Ericsson Young Scientist Award in 2010.
Honors and Awards
- Ericsson Young Scientist Award 2010 nomination (announcement Dec. 2010)
- IEICE Young Researcher Encouragement Award 2009 nomination by IEICE Communications Society (Nov. 2009)
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship of the Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) (Sep. 2009 - Sep. 2011) acceptance rate 14 % in over 1000 international applications
- 3rd IEEE Kansai Section Student Paper Award (Feb. 2007)
- IEEE VTS Japan Chapter Best Student Paper Award at IEEE Vehicular Technology Confer. 2006 Fall (Sep. 2006)
- Extension of MEXT scholarship of Government of Japan (Apr. 2006 - Mar. 2008)
scholarship of Government of Japan (Apr. 2004 -
- Multiple Dean Excellence Awards for outstanding
study results at Czech
- IEEE Senior Member
Selected Articles and Publications
- Stepan Kucera, Enabling Co-Channel Small-Cell Deployments in SINR-Constraint Networks By Distributed Monitoring of Normalized Network Capacity, IEEE Transactions of Networking, IEEE Early Access, Jan. 2014.
- Stepan Kucera and Ludek Kucera and Bing Zhang, Efficient Distributed Algorithms for Dynamic Access to Shared Multi-User Channels in SINR-Constrained Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 2087-2097, Dec. 2012.
- Stepan Kucera and David Lopez-Perez, Orthogonally-Filled Subframes for Optimum Operation of Co-Channel LTE HetNets, in proc. of IEEE ICC, Sydney, Australia, Jun. 10-14, 2014.
- Stepan Kucera and Holger Claussen, Impact of Co-Channel Small Cell Deployments On Uplink Capacity of W-CDMA Cellular Networks, in proc. of IEEE VTC Spring, Seoul, South Korea, May 18-21, 2014.
- Stepan Kucera and Holger Claussen, Uplink-Oriented Deployment Guidelines and Auto-Optimization Algorithms for Co-Channel Small Cells In W-CDMA Heterogeneous Networks, in proc. of IEEE Globecom, Atlanta, USA, Dec. 9-13, 2013.
Published patents (Jan 2014)
- Stepan Kucera and Bing Zhang, Method for admisson control in networks with SINR constraints, 11/2009
- Stepan Kucera and Bing Zhang, Method for enhancement of service quality in networks with hard SINR constraints, 03/2012
- Stepan Kucera and Bing Zhang, Method for admisson control in networks with SINR constraints, 04/2012
- Stepan Kucera, Method for uplink-oriented adaptive coverage optimization in networks with SINR constraints, 03/2013
- Stepan Kucera, Method for energy-efficient enhancement of service quality in networks with SINR constraints, 03/2013
- Stepan Kucera and Holger Claussen, Method for adaptive resource allocation for mobility management in HetNets, 02/2012
- Stepan Kucera and David Lopez-Perez, Method for proactive control channel orthogonalization in OFDM networks, 05/2013
- Stepan Kucera and David Lopez-Perez, Method for reactive control channel orthogonalization in OFDM networks, 05/2013
- David Lopez-Perez and Stepan Kucera and Lester Ho and Holger Claussen, Method for enhanced PDCCH reception through ICIC, 02/2013
- Stepan Kucera and David Lopez-Perez, Method for coordinated resource allocation in HetNets, 06/2013
- Stepan Kucera and David Lopez-Perez, Method for control channel orthogonalization for OFDM networks, 01/2014
- David Lopez-Perez and Stepan Kucera and Holger Claussen, Method for configuring networks with split control and user planes, 07/2013
- David Lopez-Perez and Stepan Kucera and Vijay Venkateswaran, Method for cell (re)selection and handover in networks with split control and user planes, 10/2013
- Stepan Kucera and Vijay Venkateswaran and David Lopez-Perez, Method for remote control of dormant base station, 08/2013