- Columbia University, New York: Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.
- New York University: B.S. and M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Murray Hill, NJ, USA
Director of the Network Intelligence and Distributed Systems Research Group
- Ph.D. , Columbia University
- B.S., New York University
My research interests are in control and optimization of distributed systems; statistical learning models and algorithms with applications to network automation and slicing, machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), cloud computing, digital health, and smart transportation.
Teaching: Adjunct Professor, Columbia University.
Previous appointments at Bell Labs:
- Head of the Mathematics of System Research Department
- Director of Global University Partnerships
Honors and Awards
- 2019 ACM SIGCOMM Networking Systems Award (in recognition of "the development of a networking system that has had a significant impact on the world of computer networking"). The systems is Multipath TCP and is now running on millions of servers, access-gateways and clients. Multipath TCP seamlessly aggregates the capacities of multiple access technologies and it is now an integral part of ATSSS (Access Traffic Steering, Switching and Splitting) for 5G.
- 2017 IEEE Communications Society William R. Bennett Prize (For "Multipath TCP Algorithms, Theory, Design and Implementation")
- Best paper awards from ACM, IFIP, and IEEE
- IEEE Fellow
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
- Elected member of IFIP Working Group 7.3
- Elected member of Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- Technical Co-Chair, Harnessing the Data Revolution in Networking, IEEE/ICNP Workshop, 2019
- General Chair, IEEE/ACM Conference on Connected Health (CHASE), 2018
- Guest editor, IEEE IoT Journal - Special Issue on AI-Enabled Cognitive Communications and Networking for IoT
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Cloud Computing Journal
- Invited talks (example: Yale Institute of Network Science Distinguished Lecturer)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Network Magazine
- Co-Chair of Technical program, IEEE INFOCOM 2012
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN) (2009-2014)
- Served on steering committees, program committees, or as Area Chair of numerous IEEE and ACM conferences: IEEE Infocom, ACM SIGCOMM, ACM SIGMETRICS, IEEE/ACM Symposium on Quality of Service, IEEE Distributed Computing Systems, etc.
Selected Articles and Publications
- Full list of publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=Q5oC62EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works
- Efficient Primitives for Tubal-rank Tensor Learning Operations on GPUs, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume: 31 , Issue 3 , March 1 2020.
- Dynamic Switch Migration in Distributed Software Defined Networks to Achieve Controller Load Balance, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications - Special Issue on Network Softwarization & Enablers, Volume: 37 , Issue 3, 2019.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning for Network Slicing with Heterogeneous Resource Requirements and Time Varying Traffic Dynamics, J. Koo, M. Rahman, V. Mendiratta, A. Walid, 15th International Conference on Network and Service Management, 2019.
- Quantifying the Gain of Dynamic Network Slicing under Stringent Constraints, A. Lieto, I. Malanchini, A. Walid, A. Capone. GLOBECOM 2019.
- Transform-Based Multilinear Dynamical system for Tensor Time Series Analysis, NIPS 2018 Spatiotemporal Workshop.
- Online VM Auto-Scaling Algorithms for Application Hosting in a Cloud;Y. Guo, A. Stolyar and A. Walid, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2018.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning for Intelligent Transportation Systems; X. Liu, Z. Ding, S. Borst and A. Walid, NIPS 2018 Workshop on Machine Learning for Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Stochastic Models and Wide-Area Network Measurements for Blockchain Design and Analysis, N Papdis, S. Borst, A. Walid, M. Grissa, L. Tassiulas, IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
- Joint Placement and Routing of Network Function Chains in Data Centers, L. Guo, J. Pang, A. Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
- A Case Study in Power Substation Network Dynamics, D. Formby, A. Walid, and R. Beyah, ACM International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS), June 2017.
- STAR: Preventing flow-table overflow in software defined networks, Z. Guo, R. Liu, Y. Xu, A. Gushchin, A. Walid, H. Jonathan Chao, to appear in Computer Networks.
- BalCon: A Distributed Elastic SDN Control via Efficient Switch Migration, M. Cello, Y. Xu, A. Walid, G. Wilfong, H. Jonathan Chao, M. Marchese, IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E) 2017.
- Multipath TCP Algorithms: Theory, Design and Implementation,Qiuyu Peng, Anwar Walid, Jeahyun Hwang and Steven Low. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), Vol. 24, No. 1, February 2016.
- Dynamic Service Function Chaining in SDN-Enabled Networks with Middleboxes, Linqi Guo, John Z. Pang and Anwar Walid, IEEE ICNP 2016.
- Fast Coupled Retransmission for Multipath TCP in Data Center Networks, Jaehyun Hwang, Anwar Walid, Joon Yoo, IEEE Systems Journal, 2016.
- Shadow-Routing Based Dynamic Algorithms for Virtual Machine Placement in a Network Cloud,Yang Guo, Alexander Stolyar and Anwar Walid, accepted toIEEE/ACM Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2015.
- Scalable Routing in SDN-enabled Networks with Consolidated Middleboxes,Andrey Gushchin, Anwar Walid and Kevin Tang, ACM SIGCOMM Hot Topics (HotMiddlebox), 2015.
- Enabling Service Function Chaining through Routing Optimization in Software Defined Networks,Andrey Gushchin, Anwar Walid and Kevin Tang. Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, 2015.
- Efficient and Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for Non-Status Reporting Gigabit Passive Optical Networks (GPON),Anwar Walid and Aiyu Chen, IEEE International Conference on Communications (Smart City & Smart World), London, 2015.
- Mobile Fronthaul over Latency-Optimized Time Division Multiplexed Passive Optical Networks, P. Ananth, A. Walid and Pfeiffer, IEEE International Conference on Communications (Smart City & Smart World), London, 2015.
- Online Algorithms for Joint Application-VM-Physical-Machine Assignment in a Cloud,Y. Guo, A.L. Stolyar, A. Walid, SIGMETRICS-2014. Full version, Bell Labs Technical Memo, 2014.
- The Importance of Switch Dimension for Energy-Efficient Datacenter Networks,Indra Widjaja, Anwar Walid, Yanbin Lou, Yang Xu and H. Jonathan Chao.Computer Communications Journal,Volume 50, September, 2014. Pages 152-161.
- Energy Efficient Multipath TCP for Mobile Devices. Qiuyu Peng, Minghua Chen, Anwar Walid and Steven Low. ACM MobiHoc 2014.
- Energy-Efficient Scheduling in Multi-Core Servers, Naser Asghari, Michel Mandjes and Anwar Walid. Computer Networks Journal, Volume 59, February 2014, Pages 33-43 2014.
- Modeling and Optimization of Energy Management in Multi-Core Servers,Naser Asghari, Michel Mandjes and Anwar Walid. IFIP Performance, 2013.
- Multipath TCP Algorithms: Theory and Design, Qiuyu Peng, Anwar Walid and Steven Low, ACM SIGMETRICS 2013.
- Small versus Large: Switch Sizing in Topology Design of Energy-Efficient Data Centers, Indra Widjaja, Anwar Walid, Yanbin Lou, Yang Xu and H. Jonathan Chao, ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS) 2013.
- Outage-Storage Tradeoff in Frequency Regulation for the Smart Grid with Renewables, K. Yang and A. Walid. Journal of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, VOL. 4, NO. 1, MARCH 2013.
- Energy-Efficient Flow Control, Lingwen Gan, Anwar Walid and Steven Low.ACM SIGMETRICS 2012.
- Distributed Caching Algorithms for Content Distribution Networks, V. Gupta, S. Borst and A. Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2010.
- An Analytical Model for Provisioning of Emerging Personalized Content Distribution Services, S. Borst, I. Saniee and A. Walid, 21th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC), Paris, 2009.
- On Server Dimensioning for Hybrid Content Distribution Networks, I. Rimac, A. Walid and S. Borst, 8th International Conference on P2P Computing P2P'08, Aachen, Germany.
- Distributed Nonlinear Integer Optimization for Data-Optical Internetworking, A Elwalid, D. Mitra, Q. Wang, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume: 24 , Issue: 8 , Aug. 2006, Pages:1502 - 1513.
- Cooperative Data-Optical Internetworking: Distributed Multi-Layer Optimization, A. Elwalid, D. Mitra and Q. Wang, IEEE INFOCOM 2005.
- Packet Path Assurance for IP Networks, S. Makowski, A. Walid and I. Widjaja, Bell Labs Technical Journal, 11:1, 2008, pp. 99-106.
- Exploiting parallelism to boost data-path rate in high-speed IP/MPLS networking, I. Widjaja and A. Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2003.
- Routing and protection in GMPLS networks: from shortest paths to optimized designs, A Walid, D. Mitra, I. Saniee, I. Widjaja, Journal of Lightwaves, Nov. 2003.
- Overview and Principles of Internet Traffic Engineering, IETF RFC 3272, D. Awduche, A. Chiu, A. Elwalid, I. Widjaja and X. Xiao, May 2002.
- Design of Generalized Processor Sharing Schedulers Which Statistically Multiplex Heterogeneous QoS Classes, A. Elwalid and D. Mitra, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 99, April 1999, 1999.
- Markovian Arrival and Service Communication Systems: Spectral Expansions, Separability and Kronecker-Product Forms, A. Elwalid and D. Mitra, in Computations in the Markov Chains, W. J. Stewart (editor), Kluwer, 1995, pp. 507-546
- Fundamental Bounds and Approximations for ATM Multiplexers with Applications to Video Teleconferencing, A. Elwalid, D. Heyman, T. V. Lakshman, D. Mitra and A. Weiss, IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Commun., 13:6 (August 1995), pp. 1004-1016.
- A Theory of Statistical Multiplexing of Markovian Sources: Spectral Expansions and Algorithms, A. I. Elwalid, D. Mitra and T. E. Stern, Numerical Solutions of Markov Chains, W. J. Stewart (editor), M. Dekker.
- Analysis of separable Markov-modulated rate models for information-handling systems, Thomas E. Stern and Anwar Walid, Advances in Applied Probability, Volume 23, Issue 1.
- Effective Bandwidth of General Markovian Traffic Sources and Admission Control of High Speed Networks, A. I. Elwalid and D. Mitra, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1:3, pp. 329-343.
- Statistical Multiplexing With Loss Priorities in Rate-Based Congestion Control of High Speed Networks, A. I. Elwalid and D. Mitra, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 42:11, pp. 2989-3002.
- Analysis, Approximations and Admission Control of a Multi-Service Multiplexing System with Priorities, A. Elwalid and D. Mitra, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM '95, 1995, pp. 463-472.
Books and Chapters
“Markovian Arrival and Service Communication Systems: Spectral Expansions, Separability and Kronecker-Product Forms,” Anwar Walid and Debasis Mitra, in Computations with Markov Chains, Eds: William J. Stewart, Springer.
- Centralized load balancer with weighted hash function,” U.S. Patent US10142407B2, November 2018.
- “Fast coupled retransmission for multipath communications," U.S. Patent Number US 10020918B2, July 2018.
- "Virtual machine placement in a cloud-based network," U.S. Patent Number 9286134, March 2016.
- "Cache management system and method and content distribution system incorporating the same,"
- U.S. Patent Number 8949161, February 2015.
- "Tone advisor, a tone assisting system and a method of associating tones with callers,"
- U.S. Patent Number 9185239, November 2015.
- "Allocating Upstream Bandwidth in an Optical Communication Network,"
- U.S. Patent Number 9148243, September 2015.
- "Intelligent Media Gateway Selection For Multimedia Communication Sessions,"
- U.S. Patent Number 8937957, January 2015.
- "Dynamic bandwidth adjustment of a link in a data network,"
- U.S. Patent Number 8797852, August 2014.
- "System and method for prioritizing session initiation protocol (SIP) messages,"
- U.S. Patent Number 7660321, February 2010.
- "Hybrid optical and data networks,"
- U.S. Patent Number 7466916, December 2008.
- "System and method of network traffic assignment on multiple parallel links between IP/MPLS routers,"
- U.S. Patent Number 7352747, April 2008.
- "Packet scheduling in a communication network with statistical multiplexing of service classes,"
- U.S. Patent Number 6567415, May 2003.
- "Adaptive processor scheduler and method for Reservation Protocol message processing,"
- U.S. Patent Number 6353616, March 2002.
- "Traffic shaper for network nodes and method thereof,"
- U.S. Patent Number 5978356, November 1999.
- "Method for admission control and routing by allocating network resources in network nodes,"
- U.S. Patent Number 5838663, November 1998.
- "Method for integrated congestion control in networks,"
- U.S. Patent Number 5,646,943, July 1997.