- Columbia University, New York: Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.
- New York University: B.S. and M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Murray Hill, NJ, USA
Director of the Network Intelligence and Distributed Systems Research Group
Honors and Awards
- 2019 ACM SIGCOMM Networking Systems Award (in recognition of "the development of a networking system that has had a significant impact on the world of computer networking")
- 2017 IEEE Communications Society William R. Bennett Prize
- IEEE Fellow
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
- Elected member of IFIP Working Group 7.3
- Elected member of Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society)
- General Chair, 2018 IEEE/ACM Conference on Connected Health (CHASE)
- Guest editor, IEEE IoT Journal - Special Issue on AI-Enabled Cognitive Communications and Networking for IoT
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Cloud Computing Journal
- Associate Editor, IEEE Network Magazine
- Co-Chair of Technical program, IEEE INFOCOM 2012
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN) (2009-2014)
- Served on steering committees, program committees, or as Area Chair of numerous IEEE and ACM conferences related to Networking: IEEE Infocom, ACM SIGCOMM, ACM SIGMETRICS, IEEE/ACM Symposium on Quality of Service, IEEE Distributed Computing Systems, etc.
Selected Articles and Publications
- Full list of publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=Q5oC62EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works
- Dynamic Switch Migration in Distributed Software Defined Networks to Achieve Controller Load Balance, Accepted in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications - Special Issue on Network Softwarization & Enablers, 2019.
- Transform-Based Multilinear Dynamical system for Tensor Time Series Analysis, NIPS 2018 Spatiotemporal Workshop.
- Online VM Auto-Scaling Algorithms for Application Hosting in a Cloud;Y. Guo, A. Stolyar and A. Walid, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2018.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning for Intelligent Transportation Systems; X. Liu, Z. Ding, S. Borst and A. Walid, NIPS 2018 Workshop on Machine Learning for Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Stochastic Models and Wide-Area Network Measurements for Blockchain Design and Analysis, N Papdis, S. Borst, A. Walid, M. Grissa, L. Tassiulas, IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
- Joint Placement and Routing of Network Function Chains in Data Centers, L. Guo, J. Pang, A. Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2018.
- A Case Study in Power Substation Network Dynamics, D. Formby, A. Walid, and R. Beyah, ACM International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS), June 2017.
- STAR: Preventing flow-table overflow in software defined networks, Z. Guo, R. Liu, Y. Xu, A. Gushchin, A. Walid, H. Jonathan Chao, to appear in Computer Networks.
- BalCon: A Distributed Elastic SDN Control via Efficient Switch Migration, M. Cello, Y. Xu, A. Walid, G. Wilfong, H. Jonathan Chao, M. Marchese, IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E) 2017.
- Multipath TCP Algorithms: Theory, Design and Implementation,Qiuyu Peng, Anwar Walid, Jeahyun Hwang and Steven Low. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), Vol. 24, No. 1, February 2016.
- Dynamic Service Function Chaining in SDN-Enabled Networks with Middleboxes, Linqi Guo, John Z. Pang and Anwar Walid, IEEE ICNP 2016.
- Fast Coupled Retransmission for Multipath TCP in Data Center Networks, Jaehyun Hwang, Anwar Walid, Joon Yoo, IEEE Systems Journal, 2016.
- Shadow-Routing Based Dynamic Algorithms for Virtual Machine Placement in a Network Cloud,Yang Guo, Alexander Stolyar and Anwar Walid, accepted toIEEE/ACM Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2015.
- Scalable Routing in SDN-enabled Networks with Consolidated Middleboxes,Andrey Gushchin, Anwar Walid and Kevin Tang, ACM SIGCOMM Hot Topics in Middleboxes and Network Function Virtualization (HotMiddlebox), 2015.
- Enabling Service Function Chaining through Routing Optimization in Software Defined Networks,Andrey Gushchin, Anwar Walid and Kevin Tang. Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, 2015.
- Efficient and Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for Non-Status Reporting Gigabit Passive Optical Networks (GPON),Anwar Walid and Aiyu Chen, IEEE International Conference on Communications (Smart City & Smart World), London, 2015.
- Mobile Fronthaul over Latency-Optimized Time Division Multiplexed Passive Optical Networks, P. Ananth, A. Walid and Pfeiffer, IEEE International Conference on Communications (Smart City & Smart World), London, 2015.
- Online Algorithms for Joint Application-VM-Physical-Machine Assignment in a Cloud,Y. Guo, A.L. Stolyar, A. Walid, SIGMETRICS-2014. Full version, Bell Labs Technical Memo, 2014.
- The Importance of Switch Dimension for Energy-Efficient Datacenter Networks,Indra Widjaja, Anwar Walid, Yanbin Lou, Yang Xu and H. Jonathan Chao.Computer Communications Journal,Volume 50, September, 2014. Pages 152-161.
- Energy Efficient Multipath TCP for Mobile Devices. Qiuyu Peng, Minghua Chen, Anwar Walid and Steven Low. ACM MobiHoc 2014.
- Queueing modeling and analysis of a server with speed scaling capability, John Morrison, Anwar Walid. Submitted for publication.
- Energy-Efficient Scheduling in Multi-Core Servers, Naser Asghari, Michel Mandjes and Anwar Walid. Computer Networks Journal, Volume 59, February 2014, Pages 33-43 2014.
- Modeling and Optimization of Energy Management in Multi-Core Servers,Naser Asghari, Michel Mandjes and Anwar Walid. IFIP Performance, 2013.
- Multipath TCP Algorithms: Theory and Design, Qiuyu Peng, Anwar Walid and Steven Low, ACM SIGMETRICS 2013.
- Shadow-Routing Based Dynamic Algorithms for Virtual Machine Placement in a Network Cloud, Yang Guo, Alexander Stolyar and Anwar Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2013.
- Small versus Large: Switch Sizing in Topology Design of Energy-Efficient Data Centers, Indra Widjaja, Anwar Walid, Yanbin Lou, Yang Xu and H. Jonathan Chao, ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS) 2013.
- Outage-Storage Tradeoff in Frequency Regulation for the Smart Grid with Renewables, K. Yang and A. Walid. Journal of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, VOL. 4, NO. 1, MARCH 2013.
- Efficient and Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for Non-Status Reporting GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network), A. Walid and A. Chen. Submitted for publication, 2013.
- Energy-Efficient Flow Control, Lingwen Gan, Anwar Walid and Steven Low.ACM SIGMETRICS 2012.
- Self-Adaptive Dynamic bandwidth Allocation for GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network), A. Walid and A. Chen, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Volume 15, Number 3, December 2010.
- Distributed Caching Algorithms for Content Distribution Networks, V. Gupta, S. Borst and A. Walid, IEEE INFOCOM 2010.
- Design of Network Protection using Network Coding, S. Aly, A. Kamal and A. Walid, IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW), 2010.
- Self-Organizing Algorithms for Cache Cooperation in Content Distribution Networks, S. Borst, V. Gupta and A. Walid, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2009, pp. 113-125.
- An Analytical Model for Provisioning of Emerging Personalized Content Distribution Services, S. Borst, I. Saniee and A. Walid, 21th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC), Paris, 2009.
- On Server Dimensioning for Hybrid Content Distribution Networks, I. Rimac, A. Walid and S. Borst, 8th International Conference on P2P Computing P2P'08, Aachen, Germany.
- Distributed Nonlinear Integer Optimization for Data-Optical Internetworking, A Elwalid, D. Mitra, Q. Wang, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume: 24 , Issue: 8 , Aug. 2006, Pages:1502 - 1513.
- Cooperative Data-Optical Internetworking: Distributed Multi-Layer Optimization, A. Elwalid, D. Mitra and Q. Wang, IEEE INFOCOM 2005.
- Packet Path Assurance for IP Networks, S. Makowski, A. Walid and I. Widjaja, Bell Labs Technical Journal, 11:1, 2008, pp. 99-106.
- Exploiting parallelism to boost data-path rate in high-speed IP/MPLS networking, I. Widjaja and A. Elwalid, IEEE INFOCOM 2003.
- Routing and protection in GMPLS networks: from shortest paths to optimized designs, A Elwalid, D. Mitra, I. Saniee, I. Widjaja, Journal of Lightwaves, Nov. 2003.
- Link to other/older publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=Q5oC62EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works
Books and Chapters
“Markovian Arrival and Service Communication Systems: Spectral Expansions, Separability and Kronecker-Product Forms,” Anwar Walid and Debasis Mitra, in Computations with Markov Chains, Eds: William J. Stewart, Springer.
- "Virtual machine placement in a cloud-based network,"
U.S. Patent Number 9286134, March 2016.
- "Cache management system and method and content distribution system incorporating the same,"
U.S. Patent Number 8949161, February 2015.
- "Tone advisor, a tone assisting system and a method of associating tones with callers,"
U.S. Patent Number 9185239, November 2015.
- "Allocating Upstream Bandwidth in an Optical Communication Network,"
U.S. Patent Number 9148243, September 2015.
- "Intelligent Media Gateway Selection For Multimedia Communication Sessions,"
U.S. Patent Number 8937957, January 2015.
- "Dynamic bandwidth adjustment of a link in a data network,"
U.S. Patent Number 8797852, August 2014.
- "System and method for prioritizing session initiation protocol (SIP) messages,"
U.S. Patent Number 7660321, February 2010.
- "Hybrid optical and data networks,"
U.S. Patent Number 7466916, December 2008.
- "System and method of network traffic assignment on multiple parallel links between IP/MPLS routers,"
U.S. Patent Number 7352747, April 2008.
- "Packet scheduling in a communication network with statistical multiplexing of service classes,"
U.S. Patent Number 6567415, May 2003.
- "Adaptive processor scheduler and method for Reservation Protocol message processing,"
U.S. Patent Number 6353616, March 2002.
- "Traffic shaper for network nodes and method thereof,"
U.S. Patent Number 5978356, November 1999.
- "Method for admission control and routing by allocating network resources in network nodes,"
U.S. Patent Number 5838663, November 1998.
- "Method for integrated congestion control in networks,"
U.S. Patent Number 5,646,943, July 1997.