Member of Technical Staff
17.09.2012 - Present: Member of Technical Staff at Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent and Permanent Researcher at the Laboratory of Information, Networking and Communication Sciences (LINCS).
01.09.2011 - 31.08.2012: Postdoctoral Researcher at UC Berkeley - EECS Department, Berkeley, CA, USA, working with Professor Jean Walrand.
01.09.2010 - 31.08.2011: Postdoctoral Researcher at INRIA Paris-Rocquencourt - Hipercom Project-Team, Rocquencourt, France, working with Professor Philippe Jacquet.
01.03.2010 - 31.05.2010: Research Consultant/Intern at Bell Labs - Mathematics of Networks and Communications Department, New Jersey, USA, working with Professor Iraj Saniee.
15.02.2007 - 14.06.2010: Ph.D. at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis - Maestro Project-Team, Sophia-Antipolis, France, working with Professor Eitan Altman.
Alonso Silva is currently a Member of Technical Staff at Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, in the Department of Mathematics. He is also a permanent member of the Laboratory of Information, Networking and Communication Sciences (LINCS). He has previously worked in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, working with Professor Jean Walrand, at INRIA Paris Rocquencourt working with Professor Philippe Jacquet and as a Research Consultant/Intern at Bell Labs Headquarters in Murray Hill, New Jersey, working with Professor Iraj Saniee. He did his Ph.D. at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis under the direction of Professor Eitan Altman. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Physics from the École Supérieure d'Électricité in June 2010. He received his B.Sc. of Mathematical Engineering and his Mathematical Engineering degree from the Department of Mathematical Engineering (DIM) at the Universidad de Chile, in 2004 and 2006.
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award Nominee for the paper "On the Spectral Gap of Random Geometric Graphs and Their Mobility Properties," Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks, Beijing, China, December 16-18, 2011.
- Best Student Paper Award for the paper "The Space Frontier: Physical Limits of Multiple Antenna Information Transfer," Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (Valuetools), 2008, Athens, Greece, October 20-24, 2008.
- Technical Committee of Computer Communications (The International Journal for the Computer and Telecommunications Industry), 2015.
- Chair of the Regular Session "Topics in Network Theory" of the 52nd Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Illinois, IL, USA, October 1-3, 2014.
- Professor Merouane Debbah and I were organizers of the special session Optimal Transport and Routing in Ad-Hoc Networks at PIMRC 2010, 21st Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications, which took place in September 26-29, 2010, in Istanbul, Turkey.
- TPC member of
- IEEE International Conference on Communications in China Wireless Communications Systems (WCS) Symposium taking place between November 2-4, 2015, in Shenzhen, China.
- International Conference on Wireless Networks and Mobile Communications (WINCOM'15) taking place between October 20-23, 2015, in Marrakech, Morocco.
- International Symposium on Ubiquitous Networking (UNet) taking place between June 02-04, 2015, in Casablanca, Morocco.
- International Workshop on Physics Inspired Paradigms in Wireless Communications and Networks (PHYSCOMNET), taking place on May 29, 2015, in Bombay, India.
- International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), taking place between August 10-13, 2015, in Aluva, Kochi, India.
- International Conference on Network Games, Control and Optimization (NETGCOOP), which took place between October 29-31, 2014, in Trento, Italy.
- International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, which took place between October 23-25, 2014, in Hefei, China.
- IEEE ICC 2014 Workshop on Small Cell and 5G Networks, which took place in June 10, 2014, in Sydney, Australia.
- International Workshop on Green Cognitive Communications and Computer Networking (GCCCN), which took place between April 27 and May 2nd, 2014, in Toronto, Canada.
- International Workshop on Self-Organization in Heterogeneous Networks (ISONET), which took place in June 9-13, 2013, in Budapest, Hungary.
- IEEE Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing (MobiCC), which took place in August 15, 2012, in Beijing, China.
- International Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec), which took place in November 14-15, 2011, in Maryland, USA.
- I have been reviewer for the journals AIMS Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems - Series A, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, IEEE Communications Magazine, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, Elsevier Computer Communications, and International Conferences (American Control Conference, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Wireless Days, GameSec, etc.).
Selected Articles and Publications
- A. Silva, H. Tembine, E. Altman, M. Debbah, "Optimum and Equilibrium in Assignment Problems With Congestion: Mobile Terminals Association to Base Stations,"
IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Volume 58, Issue 8, Pages 2018-2031, August 2013, ISSN: 0018-9286, DOI: 10.1109/TAC.2013.2250072.
Impact factor: 2.718
- A. Silva, E. Altman, P. Bernhard M. Debbah, "Continuum Equilibria and Global Optimization for Routing in Dense Static Ad-Hoc Networks,"
Computer Networks, Volume 54, Issue 6, Pages 1005-1018, April 2010, ISSN: 1389-1286, DOI: 10.1016/j.comnet.2009.10.019.
- A. Silva, E. Altman, M. Debbah, G. Alfano "Magnetworks: how mobility impacts the design of mobile networks,"
Proc. of 29th IEEE INFOCOM 2010, San Diego, CA, USA, March 15-19, 2010.
(acceptance rate: 17,5%, 9 pages).
- P. Jacquet, S. Malik, B. Mans, A. Silva, "On the Throughput-Delay Trade-off in Georouting Networks,"
Proc. of 31st IEEE INFOCOM 2012, Orlando, FL, USA, March 25-30, 2012.
(acceptance rate: 18%, 9 pages).
- A. Silva, G. Tucci, "On the Spectral Gap of Random Geometric Graphs and Their Mobility Properties,"
Proc. of 7th International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks, Beijing, China, December 16-18, 2011.
Nominated for Best Paper Award.
- R. Couillet, S. Wagner, M. Debbah, A. Silva, "The Space Frontier: Physical Limits of Multiple Antenna Information Transfer,"
Proc. of 3rd International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (Valuetools), Workshop Inter-Perf, Athens, Greece, October 20-24, 2008.
Best student paper award.
Full list of my publications available here