About the Bell Labs Prize
Candidates who reach Stage 2 of the competition will also have the chance to work alongside a Bell Labs researcher to strengthen their proposal.
The three winners may have an opportunity to work with Bell Labs, giving them the opportunity to collaborate with researchers to further develop the idea and enhance its commercial viability.
- First prize: $100K + matching $100K for the winner's university
- Second prize: $50K
- Third prize: $25K
- First prize: $100K
- Second prize: $50K
- Third prize: $25K
All prize amounts are gross amounts and subject to reduction due to tax and other applicable withholdings, which are the sole responsibility of the winners.
In addition, directors, members, partners, agents, and consultants of Sponsor and its affiliates and their immediate family members as well as the supplier of goods or services in connection with the Contest are not eligible to participate in the Contest. “Immediate family” is defined as the spouses, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of the employee and his or her current and former spouse, if applicable. This definition also includes individuals for whom an employee is the current legal guardian or individuals who are not legally related to but who reside with an employee. (“Step” relationships also are covered by the definition “immediate family”).
How the Prize works
- March 5 - Website opens and applicants can register to participate in the competition and submit their ideas through the application form
- April 25, 8:00 PM US-Eastern - Deadline for registration and formal submission of Stage 1 ideas
- May 30 - Candidates selected to proceed to Stage 2 are informed
- June 1 - September 7 - Finalists develop in-depth proposal with the help of a Bell Labs Research Partner
- September 7 - Deadline for submission of Stage 2 detailed idea
- October 17 - Finalists who are invited to present in front of the Bell Labs Judging Panel in Murray Hill are informed of the selection
- December 5 - Final presentations and winners announced.
- 10x Innovation Potential - How is your proposal novel – what has not been done before, what is the “out of the box” thinking that could result in a 10x change in performance (e.g. speed/throughput, distance, latency, cost, energy efficiency or simplicity)?
- Technical Merit – How technically sound is your proposal? On what current principles and capabilities does it depend versus further/future advancements and innovations?
- Feasibility – Can a proof of concept, simulation or demonstration be built in the course of the competition? What is required to do so? In order to build a commercially viable (revenue and profit-generating) solution, what more would be required?
- Business Impact – What is the magnitude of the new ICT-related business created by the proposal? How soon could it be brought to market and how differentiated/unique is the proposition?
For Stage 2, candidates are requested to submit a more detailed proposal that provides additional information on: the approach, the impact and the technical challenges of the idea as well as on the implementation plan. Please see all details here Download (pdf)
- Web Applications
- Cloud Services
- Information Theory
- Coding Theory
- Computational Sciences
- Distributed Systems
- Data Privacy
- Mathematics of Networks
- Modulation Schemes
- Optical Systems or Components
- Communications Systems
- Collaboration Systems
- Network Protocols
- Network Architecture
- RF design
- Wireless systems
- Fixed Network technologies
- Software-Defined Networks
- Virtualization Technologies
- Search algorithms
- Self-Optimizing Networks
- Real-time Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
Each member of the team should register individually. Then a designated team lead will log into the Bell Labs Prize Site and select option, "Invite Team Members". The team leader will be able to filter the list by name/email to search for the names/email addresses of the people you would like to add to your team. For each person, select the "Add to team" button. Repeat this process until you have all members of your team included.