Communications service providers
We create real impact that matters most to you
How we help CSP customers
The advent of the human–technological revolution is redefining the laws of business survival. The digitization and connection of everything and everyone, enabled by 5G and next generation technologies, will inevitably reshape your competitive landscape.
To survive and thrive in such an evolving, dynamic market, you need a fundamental shift in your underlying network and operations infrastructure as well as your business models. Let our technology and business experts create a tailored strategy that will help your business capture the enormous opportunities that lie ahead.
Real customer impact
Making 5G pay for a Tier 1 operator in North America
To succeed in the 5G era, CSPs must move from their traditional consumer and connectivity-centric focus to a digital value focus that targets both consumers and enterprises. This means transforming their network and operations infrastructure and embracing new business models.
Our customer needed to determine:
- Which differentiated 5G services would excite its existing customers and help attract new customers
- How to form the right partnerships and implement a coherent action plan to align internal stakeholders and partners
- The business potential of the identified 5G services
Methodology and approach:
- 5G B2C market study: We conducted a primary market study in South Korea, Japan China and UK.
- 360-degreeanalysis: We took a deep dive into all related aspects –from market and ecosystem readiness to use cases, network architecture, business models and organizational structure – to gain a comprehensive understanding of success factors.
- Local adaptation: We applied these rich findings to the customer’s home market to customize the best fit.
Value delivered & Insights:
We helped our customer maximize value capture through service differentiation. We identified the top 15 priority services for the customer to target out of more than 100 options.
We also provided a practical implementation roadmap – including network requirements, organizational transformation, partnerships creation and ecosystem setup – and a clear go-to-market strategy.
- 5G serves as a trigger to shift focus from network and access to digital value. CSPs need to adapt their networks, operations and business models to make this shift.
- Future consumers will demand contextualized services with real-time data feed and security.
- Stronger partnerships with ecosystems players will set CSPs apart from the competition.
5G services analysis
Contact us to learn more about this case or find out how we can help you make 5G pay.
Helping prioritize the rollout of 5G networks for a Tier 1 operator in APAC
The operator's network is reaching capacity limits in high-traffic areas. The introduction of new AR/VR applications will likely create performance issues. The operator needs 5G for added capacity and as a quality of experience (QoE) enabler that will increase peak throughput and lower latency.
To understand and prioritize the rollout of 5G networks, the operator needed to determine the forecasted service adoption rates for AR /VR applications in different deployment morphologies. Its key questions were:
- What KPIs/KQIs should be tracked for AR/VR?
- How should we measure a good user experience for each service?
- What network mitigations are necessary to improve the user experience?
- Which AR/VR applications should we offer?
Methodology & Approach
We used a proven method to assess network performance for target applications. Each application was decomposed into key quality indicators (KQIs) that help measure the user experience.
Bell Labs Consulting methodology for improving application user experience
We used network analytics to relate application KQIs to network key performance indicators (KPIs) based on the operator’s own data sets. We also used correlations to predict future performance, set KPI targets, determine inefficiencies and locate root causes.
Value delivered & Insights:
AR/VR performance targets largely depend on the specific deployment details and nature of the application and. We learned that:
- Current AR/VR applications are deployed primarily on devices and are not heavily dependent on the network. This will change with the take-off of cloud-based AR/VR, driven mainly by cloud gaming.
- Cloud-based AR/VR is heavily dependent on upstream network performance and server performance (CPU vs. GPU). Network latency is critical for ensuring a good customer experience.
Using our KQI/KPI analytics model, we demonstrated that the operator could not meet QoE demands for cloud-rendered AR/VR applications using LTE networks or by combining LTE and edge cloud. Acceleration towards 5G was necessary, not because LTE bandwidth was lacking but because of the reduction in latency required for cloud-rendered AR/VR applications.
The figure below illustrates how VR gaming QoE improves as the network evolves towards 5G and edge cloud to meet application-specific KQIs.
QoE by cell for VR gaming using BLC analytics models
Contact us to learn more about this case or find out how we can help you prioritize your 5G rollout.