Dr. Volker Hilt is a Bell Labs Fellow and senior director leading the Autonomous Software Systems Research program at Nokia Bell Labs. Volker's work is focused on distributed software systems where he has made contributions in cloud computing, software operations, distributed multimedia systems, content distribution networks, peer-to-peer applications and the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). He has designed the overload control mechanism for SIP, which has become a key part of today's telecommunication systems.
Volker received a Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2001 from the University of Mannheim in Germany. He joined Bell Labs in Holmdel, NJ, USA in 2002 and moved to Stuttgart, Germany in 2012. Volker is a IEEE senior member and has published over 100 papers, Internet drafts and RFCs and holds over 30 patents.
Ph.D.(Dr. rer. nat.)in Computer Science
University of Mannheim, Germany
M.S. in Commercial Information Technology (Diplom Wirtschaftsinformatiker)
University of Mannheim, Germany
- General co-chair of IEEE Conference on Networked Systems (NetSys) 2017
- General co-chair of IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP) 2013
- Co-chair of IEEE Globecom Internet Services and Enabling Technologies Workshop 2006
- Technical Program Committee co-chair or member of numerous IEEE/ACM conferences and workshops.
- Selection committee member for Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)/Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP)
- 2010 - 2015 Co-chair of IETF SIP Overload Control Working Group.
- 2009 – 2013 Member of the Internet Research Steering Group (IRSG)
- 2009 – 2013 Co-chair of the IRTF Peer-to-Peer Research Group.
- Organizing committee member of National Academy of Engineering 2013 China-America Frontiers of Engineering meeting
Selected articles and publications
- Istemi Ekin Akkus, Ruichuan Chen, Ivica Rimac, Manuel Stein, Klaus Satzke, Andre Beck, Paarijaat Aditya, Volker Hilt, SAND: Towards High-Performance Serverless Computing, USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), Boston, MA, USA, Jul 2018.
- Ruichuan Chen, Istemi Ekin Akkus, Bimal Viswanath, Ivica Rimac, Volker Hilt, Towards Reliable Application Deployment in the Cloud, ACM International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT), Seoul, South Korea, Dec 2017.
- Jesus Omana Iglesias, Jordi Arjona Aroca, Volker Hilt, and Diego Lugones, ORCA: an ORChestration Automata for Configuring VNFs, ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware 2017, Las Vegas, NV, Dec 2017
- Vijay K Adhikari, Yang Guo, Fang Hao, Volker Hilt, Zhi-Li Zhang, Matteo Varvello, Moritz Steiner, Measurement Study of Netflix, Hulu, and a Tale of Three CDNs, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol.23 No. 6, 2015
- Vijay Gurbani, Volker Hilt, Henning Schulzrinne, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control, Internet draft, IETF, RFC 7339, September 2014.
- N. Magharei, R. Rejaie, I. Rimac, V. Hilt, M. Hofmann, ISP-friendly Live P2P Streaming, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 22, no. 1, Feb 2014.
- Volker Hilt, Gonzalo Camarillo, Jonathan Rosenberg, A Framework for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Policies, IETF, RFC 6794, December 2012.
- J. Esteban, S. Benno, A. Beck, Y. Guo, V. Hilt, I. Rimac, “Interactions Between HTTP Adaptive Streaming and TCP”, SIGMM Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV), Toronto, Canada, June 2012.
- S. Seetharaman, V. Hilt, M. Hofmann, M. Ammar. Resolving Cross-layer Conflict between Overlay Routing and Traffic Engineering. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 17, no. 6, Dec 2009.
- V. Hilt, I. Widjaja, Controlling Overload in Networks of SIP Servers, IEEE ICNP 2008, Orlando, FL, Oct 2008.
- S. Seetharaman, V. Hilt, M. Hofmann, M. Ammar, Preemptive Strategies to Improve Routing Performance of Native and Overlay Layers, IEEE INFOCOM 2007, Anchorage, AL, May 2007.
- V. Hilt, M. Mauve, J. Vogel, W. Effelsberg. Recording and Playing Back Interactive Media Streams. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 7 (5), pp. 960 - 971, Oct 2005.
- M. Mauve, J. Vogel, V. Hilt, W. Effelsberg. Local-lag and Timewarp: Providing Consistency for Replicated Continuous Applications. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 6 (1), Feb 2004.
- Volker Hilt, Werner Geyer. A Model for Collaborative Services in Distributed Learning Environments. Proc. International Workshop on Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems and Telecommunication Services 1997 (IDMS’97), Darmstadt, Germany, pp. 364-375, 1997.