Vahid Aref is a member of technical staff in IP and Optical Networks research lab within Nokia Bell Labs since 2015. He received his PhD degree in computer and communication sciences from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, in March 2014.
Prior joining Bell Labs, he was a research assistant in the communication theory laboratory (LTHC), EPFL, from 2010 until 2014. Then, he conducted post-doctoral research in the institute of telecommunications (INÜ) at University of Stuttgart in 2014. Since 2016, Dr. Aref also serves as guest lecturer at the University of Stuttgart. He has published more than 80 peer-reviewed conference proceedings and articles in prestigious journals such as Nature photonics, IEEE Transactions of Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on Communications and IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology. Dr. Aref has received several awards for his works including the co-recipient of best journal award 2018 (ITG-Preis 2018) from German Society of Information technology (ITG).
Vahid's fields of research include coding and information theory, communications theory, machine learning and deep learning.
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
- Ph.D. in Computer and Communication Sciences, March 2014.
- Thesis : Spatially Coupled Codes for Channel and Source Coding
- Sharif University of Technology, Iran
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Communication Systems, 2008.
- Thesis: New Achievable Rates in Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Systems
- B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Communications, 2006.
Selected articles and publications
- V. Aref, N. Rengaswamy, and L. Schmalen," Finite-Length Analysis of Spatially-Coupled Regular LDPC Ensembles on Burst-Erasure Channels," IEEE Transactions of Information Theory, Vol. 64, No. 5, pp. 3431-3449, 2018.
- V. Aref, S. T. Le, and H. Buelow," Modulation over Nonlinear Fourier Spectrum: Continuous and Discrete Spectrum,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 1289-1295, March 2018.
- S. T. Le, V. Aref, and H. Buelow," Nonlinear Signal Multiplexing for Communication beyond the Kerr Nonlinearity Limit", Nature Photonics 11(9), pp. 570-576, July 2017.
- L. Schmalen, V. Aref, J. Cho, D. Suikat, D. Rösener, and A. Leven, "Spatially coupled soft-decision error correction for future lightwave systems," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 1109-1116, March 2015.
- V. Aref, N. Macris, and M. Vuffray," Approaching the Rate-Distortion Limit with Spatial Coupling, Belief propagation and Decimation," in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 61, No.7, pp. 3954-3979, July 2015.
- V. Bajaj, F. Buchali, M. Chagnon, S. Wahls, and V. Aref," Single-channel 1.61 Tb/s Optical Coherent Transmission Enabled by Neural Network-Based Digital Pre-Distortion," in European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC 2020), pp. Tu1D-5, Dec. 2020.
- B. Karanov, M. Chagnon, V. Aref, D. Lavery, P. Bayvel, and L. Schmalen,” Concept and Experimental Demonstration of Optical IM/DD End-to-End System Optimization using a Generative Model,” in Optical Fiber Conference (OFC), March 2020.
- B. Karanov, G. Liga, V. Aref, D. Lavery, P. Bayvel, and L. Schmalen,” Deep Learning for Communication over Dispersive Nonlinear Channels: Performance and Comparison with Classical Digital Signal Processing,” 57th Allerton Conf. on Comm, Control, and Computing, Sept. 2019.