Tom Bostoen obtained his B.Sc. (1995) and M.Sc. (1998) degrees in Physics Engineering from Ghent University (Ghent, Belgium). Since then, he has been with Alcatel-Lucent (Antwerp, Belgium), where currently, he works as the leader of the Web Experience research team on the Network Applications & Devices Program of Bell Labs. The mission of the Web Experience research team is to optimize the quality of experience (QoE) for video streaming and Web applications by means of intelligent content delivery.
Prior to his current appointment (2010-2014), he worked as senior research engineer on the same program pursuing a Ph.D. degree in collaboration with KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium). On June 25th, 2014, he succesfully publicly defended his doctoral dissertation "Dynamic power management in content distribution networks".
Before, he was product manager of Alcatel-Lucent’s Network Analyzer (2005-2010), head of Alcatel’s Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) research (2003-2004), and DSL research engineer (1998-2002). He is (co-)author of 25+ publications and (co-)inventor of 10+ patents.
Ph.D. in Computer Science at KU Leuven (2011-2014)
- Supervisors: prof. Sape Mullender at Universiteit Twente and prof. Yolande Berbers at KU Leuven
- Ph.D. dissertation: Dynamic power management in content distribution networks
Executive MBA at Vlerick Business School (2004-2006)
- 2-year part-time international MBA program in general international management
- MBA final project: Strategy for DSL service assurance product seizing VoIP migration opportunity
2-Year Postacademic Interuniversity Course in Information Technology (2002-2003)
Academic Teacher Training in Engineering Science at Ghent University (1995-1998)
B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Physics Engineering at Ghent University (1993-1998)
Selected articles and publications
- Huysegems R., van der Hooft J., Bostoen, T., Rondao Alface P., Petrangeli S., Wauters T., De Turck F. HTTP/2-based techniques to improve the live experience of adaptive streaming. In Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia Conference 2015, ACM-MM ’15. Acceptance rate: 20%. [Paper]
- Wu T., Huysegems R., Bostoen, T. Scalable network-based video-freeze detection for HTTP adaptive streaming. In Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Quality of Service 2015, IWQoS ’15. Acceptance rate: 23%. [Paper]
- Bostoen, T., Mullender, S., and Berbers, Y. LofoSwitch: An online policy for concerted server and disk power control in content distribution networks. Ad Hoc Netw. 25, B (February 2015), 606-621. Journal impact factor: 1.943 (2013 Journal Citation Reports, Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge) [Paper]
- Bostoen, T., Mullender, S., and Berbers, Y. Power-reduction techniques for data-center storage systems. ACM Comput. Surv. 45, 3 (June 2013), 33:1-33:38. Journal impact factor: 3.543 (2012 Journal Citation Reports, Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge) [Paper]
- Bostoen, T., Mullender, S., and Berbers, Y. Analysis of disk power management for data-center storage systems. In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Future Energy Systems 2012, e-Energy ’12, pp. 2:1–2:10. Acceptance rate: 34%. [Paper] [Presentation]
- Bostoen T., Boets P., Zekri M., Van Biesen L., Pollet T., and Rabijns D. Estimation of the transfer function of the access network by means of 1-port scattering parameter measurements at the central office. IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun. 20, 5 (June 2002), 936-948. Journal impact factor: 4.138 (2013 Journal Citation Reports, Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge) [Paper]
Honors & Awards
- DIMACS invited opening talk: DIMACS (Center for Discrete Mathematics & Theoretical Computer Science) invited me to give the opening talk at the DIMACS Working Group on Algorithms for Green Data Storage on December 16, 2013. More information is available at: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/WGGreen
- IWT Baekeland mandate: January 2011, the Flanders Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology (IWT) granted me a Baekeland mandate, which is a 4-year grant allocated to an individual corporate researcher facilitating the pursuit of a Ph.D. in collaboration with a university. More information about the IWT Baekeland mandate is available at: http://www.iwt.be/subsidies/baekeland-mandaten
- Member of Alcatel Technical Academy: May 2004, I was nominated member of the Alcatel Technical Academy (ALTA), which recognizes and rewards individuals who have made exceptional contributions to Alcatel's technological leadership.