Patrice Rondao Alface
Patrice Rondao Alface, Ph.D., is a Senior Research Engineer and Video System Expert at Bell Labs. He received his M.S. in electrical engineering and Ph.D. in Applied Sciences degrees from the Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium, in 2002 and 2006 respectively. He was previously research engineer within IMEC, Belgium. Patrice is author of more than 30 journal and conference papers and of more than 15 filed patents. He is member of several Technical Program Committees of International Conferences such as EUSIPCO 2014 and MMEDIA 2014. Patrice received three Best Paper Awards at MMEDIA 2011, ICME Workshops 2011 and MMEDIA 2013, respectively. His current research interests are related to multimedia compression and processing, interactive and immersive media delivery as well as multimedia security. “My passion for multimedia research is fueled by the fact that science can sometimes meet science-fiction dreams, as we can see them in television series such as CSI”
2002-2006 PH.D. at Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium), under supervision of Prof. Benoît Macq, "Perception and Re-Synchronization Issues for the Watermarking of 3D Shapes"
2002 Research Stay at Telecom ParisTech (France), under supervision of Prof. Henri Maître
1997-2002 Master Degree in Electrical Engineering at Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium)
Technical Program Committees:
- 2011-2013 IARIA MMEDIA
- 2012-2013: European Signal Processing Conference EUSIPCO
- 2013: Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems ACIVS
- 2013: IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks CECNet
- 2011: IEEE ISM2011 International Workshop on Video Panorama
- 2009-2010: IEEE/ACM Symposium on Embedded Systems for Real-time Multimedia ESTIMEDIA
Member of the reading committee of PhD dissertations:
- Bart Pieters, “Decoding of H.264/AVC Video Streams on the Massively-Parallel GPU Architecture”, Universiteit Gent, Multimedia Lab, Gent, Belgium, 25 January 2012.
- Rony Darazi, “Towards a combining scheme for Compression and Watermarking for 3D Stereo Images”, Universite catholique de Louvain, Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium, 24 October 2011.
- Joachim Giard, “Protein Surface Properties using Signal Processing and Statistical Tools”, Universite catholique de Louvain, Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium, 23 June 2010.
IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Elsevier Digital Signal Processing
Selected articles and publications
- Tang S., Rondao Alface P., Impact of Random and Burst Packet Losses on H.264 Scalable Video Coding, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 16 (8), 2256-2269, 2014.
- Patrice Rondao Alface, Jean-Francois Macq, Nico Verzijp, “Interactive Omni-directional Video Delivery: a Bandwidth-Effective Approach”, Bell Labs Technical Journal 16(4): 135-147 (2012).
- Joachim Giard, Patrice Rondao Alface, Jean-Luc Gala, Benoit Macq, “Fast Surface-Based Travel Depth Estimation Algorithm for Macromolecule Surface Shape Description”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 59-68, January 2011.
- Patrice Rondao Alface, Benoît Macq: From 3D Mesh Data Hiding to 3D Shape Blind and Robust Watermarking: A Survey. T. Data Hiding and Multimedia Security 2: pp. 91-115, 2007
- Cayre F., Rondao Alface P., Schmitt F., Maître H. and Macq B., ‘Application of spectral decomposition to compression and watermarking of 3D triangle mesh geometry’,Image Communications – Special issue on Image Security,Vol. 18, n° 4, pp. 309-319, 2003.
International Conference Papers
- Huysegems R., van der Hooft J., Bostoen, T., Rondao Alface P., Petrangeli S., Wauters T., De Turck F. HTTP/2-based techniques to improve the live experience of adaptive streaming. In Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia Conference 2015, ACM-MM ’15. Acceptance rate: 20%.
- Benoît Macq, Patrice Rondao Alface, Mireia Montanola: Applicability of watermarking for intellectual property rights protection in a 3D printing scenario. Web3D 2015: 89-95
- S. Tang, P. Rondao Alface, “Impact of Random and Burst Packet Losses on H.264 Scalable Video Coding”, IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW) 2013, pp. 79-83, Seville, Spain, Sept. 2013 Invited paper.
- P. Rondao Alface, J.-F. Macq, F. Lee, W. Bailer, “Adaptive Coding of High-resolution Panoramic Video Using Visual Saliency”, EuroITV 2013, June 24-26, 2013, Como, Italy.
- M. Prins, O. Niamut, R. van Brandenburg, J.-F. Macq, P. Rondao Alface, N. Verzijp, “A hybrid architecture for delivery of panoramic video”, Proceedings of EuroITV2013, June 24-26, 2013, Como Italy, Best Paper Honorable Mention Award.
- Siyu Tang and Patrice Rondao Alface, “Impact of Packet Loss on H.264 Scalable Video Coding”, Proceedings of The Fifth International Conferences on Advances in Multimedia, April 21 – 26, 2013 – Venice, Italy, Best Paper Award.
- J. Lievens, R. Florea, P. Schelkens, A. Munteanu, P. Rondao Alface, D. Tytgat; “Perceived Quality of 3D Human Head Scans at Varying Texture and Mesh Resolutions”, IASTED – CGIM 2013, Innsbruck, Austria, Feb. 2013.
- B. Pieters, C. Hollemeersch, J.D. Cock, P. Lambert, R.V.D. Walle, P. Rondao Alface, and C. Stevens, “Multiview Video Coding Using Video Game Context Information”, in Proc. ICME Workshops, 2012, pp.1-6, Melbourne, Australia, July 2012.
- O. Niamut, J.F. Macq, M.J. Prins, R. Van Brandenburg, N. Verzijp, P. Rondao Alface, “Towards Scalable And Interactive Delivery of Immersive Media”, Proceedings of the NEM Summit, pp. 69—74, Istambul, Turkey, 16-18 October 2012
- Patrice Rondao Alface, Jean-Francois Macq, Nico Verzijp, Evaluation of Bandwidth Performance for Interactive Spherical Video, in Proceedings of IEEE ICME Workshop on Multimedia-Aware Networking, Barcelona, Spain, July 11-15, 2011, Best Paper Award.
- Rajat Phull, Pradip Mainali, Qiong Yang, Patrice Rondao Alface, Henk Sips, Low Complexity Corner Detector Using CUDA for Multimedia Applications, Proceedings of Third International Conferences on Advances in Multimedia, MMEDIA 2011, Budapest, Hungary, 17-22 April 2011.
- Mireia Montanola Sales, Benoit Macq, Patrice Rondao Alface, 3D objects Watermarking and tracking of their visual representations, Proceedings of Third International Conferences on Advances in Multimedia, MMEDIA 2011, Budapest, Hungary, 17-22 April 2011, Best Paper Award.
- Mireia Montañola Sales, Rony Darazi, Joachim Giard, Patrice Rondao Alface , Benoît Macq. Using feature point-based extraction for STDM 3D-mesh watermarking that withstands the cropping attack, Proceedings of IS&T/SPIE Image Processing, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2011.
- Ivan Alen Fernandez, Patrice Rondao Alface, Tong Gan, Rudy Lauwereins, Christophe De Vleeschouwer, Integrated H.264 Region-of-Interest detection, tracking, and compression for surveillance scenes, Proceedings of. IEEE International Packet Video Workshop, Hong Kong, 13-14 December 2010
- Tong Gan, Patrice Rondao Alface, “Fast Mode Decision for H.264/AVC Encoding of Tunnel Surveillance Video,” Proceedings of Second International Conferences on Advances in Multimedia, MMEDIA 2010, pp.7-12, 2010
- Roland Hu, Patrice Rondao Alface, Benoit Macq, “Constrained optimisation of 3D polygonal mesh watermarking by quadratic programming,” IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, pp. 1501-1504, 2009.
- Giard Joachim, Rondao Alface Patrice, Macq Benoit :’Fast and accurate travel depth estimation for protein active site prediction,’ SPIE Electronic Imaging 2008, San Jose, California USA, San Jose California, USA, 6812, 2008
- Patrice Rondao Alface, Benoit M. Macq, François Cayre: Blind and Robust Watermarking of 3D Models: How to Withstand the Cropping Attack? IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (5), pp. 465-468, 2007.
- Wiklund J., Nicolas V., Rondao Alface P., Andersson M., Knutsson H., ‘T-FLASH: Tensor Visualization in Medical Studio’, Similar NoE Tensor Workshop,Las Palmas, November 2006.
- Rondao Alface P. and Macq B., ‘Shape Quality Measurement for 3D Watermarking Schemes’, Electronic Imaging, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents VIII, San Jose, California, 15-19 Jan. 2006.
- Rondao Alface P., Macq B.: ‘Feature-Based Watermarking of 3D Objetcs: Towards Robustness Against Remeshing and De-synchronization,’ Electronic Imaging 05, Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents VII, San Jose, CA, Jan 2005, 2005.
- Rondao Alface P., De Craene M., Macq B.: ‘Three-Dimensional Image Quality Measurement For The Benchmarking Of 3D Watermarking Schemes,’ Electronic Imaging 05, Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents VII, San Jose, CA, Jan 2005, 2005.
- Jaume S., Rondao Alface P., Macq B.:’OpenTopology: A Toolkit for Brain Isosurface Correction’, MICCAI Open Source Software Workshop, Oct 2005.
- Rondao Alface P. and Macq B., ‘Blind Watermarking of 3D Meshes Using Robust Feature Points Detection’, International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP05), Genova, Italy, 11-14 September 2005.
- Rondao Alface P., De Craene M., Macq B.: ‘Métriques de distorsion pour l’analyse comparative de schémas de filigranage 3D,’ GRETSI 05, 20e colloque GRETSI sur le traitement du signal et des images, Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium,, 2005.
- Rondao Alface P., Macq B., Cayre F., Schmitt F. and Maitre H., ‘Lapped Spectral Decomposition for 3D triangle Mesh Compression’,International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP03), Barcelona, Spain, Vol. 1, pp. 781-784, 14-17 September 2003.
- Rondao Alface P., Cayre F., Macq B, ‘Spectral decomposition of meshes and application to watermarking,’Proceedings of SPIE,Applications of Digital Image Processing XXVI ,Andrew G. Tescher; Ed., 5203, 379-389, 2003.
- Cayre F., Rondao Alface P., Maître H.: ‘Compression and watermarking of 3D triangle meshes,’SPIE 47th Annual Meeting, Seattle, USA, July 2002,2002.
- Jean-Francois Macq, Patrice Rondao Alface, Ray van Brandenburg, Omar A. Niamut, Martin Prins, and Nico Verzijp (2013), "Scalable Delivery of Navigable and Ultra‐High Resolution Video", in Schreer, O., Niamut, O. A., Ruiz-Hidalgo, J., Shirley, B., Thallinger, G., & Thomas, G. (Eds.). (2013). Media Production, Delivery and Interaction for Platform Independent Systems: Format-Agnostic Media. John Wiley & Sons, 260-297, 2013.
- Johan Wiklund, Vincent Nicolas, Patrice Rondao Alface, Mats Andersson, Hans Knutsson, “T-flash: Tensor Visualization in Medical Studio”, Tensors in Image Processing and Computer Vision, Advances in Pattern Recognition, 455-466, 2009.
Patrice Rondao Alface, ”Perception and Re-Synchronization Issues for the Watermarking of 3D Shapes,”UCL Presses Universitaires de Louvain, ISBN 2-87463-037-3, 2006
- RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; MACQ, Jean-Francois. 2012. A method, server and terminal for generating a composite view from multiple content items.
EP2408196 A1, filed on July 14, 2010, and issued January 18, 2012.
US20130185353, filed on July 13, 2013, and issued on July 18, 2013.
- VERZIJP, Nico; MACQ, Jean-Francois; and RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice. 2012. Method and apparatus for transmitting and receiving a panoramic video stream.
EP2490179 A1, filed February 18, 2011, and issued August 22, 2012.
- RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; VAN BROECK, Sigurd; STEVENS, Christoph; MACQ, Jean-François, 2013. Method And Apparatus For Encoding A Video Stream Having A Transparency Information Channel.
EP2670139, filed on June 1, 2012 and issued on December 4, 2013.
- MACQ, Jean-François; STEVENS, Christoph; RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; VAN BROECK, Sigurd. Methods And Apparatus For Encoding And Decoding A Multiview Video Stream. EP2670146, filed on June 1, 2012 and issued on December 4, 2013.
US20130321576, filed on June 3, 2013 and issued on 12 May 2013.
- STEVENS, Christoph; RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; VAN BROECK, Sigurd; MACQ, Jean-François. Method and Apparatus For Encoding A Video Stream.
EP2670140, filed on June 1, 2012 and issued on December 4, 2013.
- RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; MACQ, Jean-François; VERZIJP, Nico. Method and apparatus for encoding a selected spatial portion of a video stream.
EP2645713, filed on March 30, 2012 and issuedon October 2, 2013.
- VAN BROECK, Sigurd; RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; STEVENS, Christoph; MACQ, Jean-François. Method and apparatus for mixing a first video signal and a second video signal. EP2670130, filed on June 1, 2012 and issued on December 4, 2013.
- NAMBOODIRI, Vinay; MACQ, Jean-François; RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice; VERZIJP, Nico; SIX, Erwin. Method and system for generating a high-resolution video stream.
EP2680221, filed on June 28, 2012 and issued on January 1, 2014.
- VERZIJP, Nico; MACQ, Jean-François; RONDAO ALFACE, Patrice. Method and apparatus for dynamic adaptation of video encoder parameters.
EP2680581, filed June 28, 2012 and issued on January 1, 2014.