Luca received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Torino, Italy, in 2012. Prior to working at Nokia Bell Labs, he was a Research Scientist at Yahoo Labs for 4.5 years, first in Barcelona and then in London.
He conducts interdisciplinary research in computational social science, network science, and urban informatics through quantitative analysis of large-scale data. At Yahoo he worked with production teams from Flickr and Tumblr to build social recommender systems at scale.
He serves in the PCs of several conferences including WWW, WSDM, ICWSM, and CIKM. He organized several academic events: organizer of the SNOW workshop at WWW, workshop and tutorial chair for ICWSM in 2015-16, and general chair of SocInfo in 2014. He led the work of Yahoo in the European project "SocialSensor". He is a co-organizer of the scientific dissemination meetup "DataBeers" in London and one of the founding members of GoodCityLife.org, a global network of scientist with the goal of giving a good life to city dwellers.
PhD in Computer Science from University of Torino, Italy. Thesis title "Analysis, prediction and privacy-aware design of social media and online search"
- Jun 2016 - present : Nokia Bell Labs, Cambridge UK. Senior Research Scientist.
- Apr 2015 - Jun 2016 : Yahoo Labs London, UK. Research Scientist.
- Sep 2013 - Apr 2015 : Yahoo Labs Barcelona, Spain. Research Scientist.
- Jan 2012 - Aug 2013 : Yahoo Labs Barcelona, Spain. Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Jan 2011 - Jun 2011 : Yahoo Labs, Sunnyvale, CA. Intern and collaborator.
- Nov 2010 - Jun 2011 : Center of complex networks and systems, Indiana University. Visiting scholar.
Selected articles and publications
- "Friendship prediction and homophily in social media"ACM TWEB 2012
- "The shortest path to happiness: Recommending beautiful, quiet, and happy routes in the city" ACM Hypertext 2014
- "Reading the source code of social ties" ACM WebScience 2014
- "An image is worth more than a thousand favorites: Surfacing the hidden beauty of flickr pictures" AAAI ICWSM 2015
- "LotusNet: Tunable privacy for distributed online social network services" Computer Communications 2012
- "Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Social Informatics"(editor) Springer 2014
- "The Nature of Social Structures" Springer SNA Encyclopedia, 2016
- "Group Types in Social Media" Springer, 2015
- "A system for recommending pleasant routes from the sentiment of geo-tagged photographs" filed in 2014
- "Decomposition of social relationships into domains of interactions" filed in 2014
- "User Behavior Models Based On Source URL" filed in 2012
- "Behavior-driven query clustering and topic model generation" filed in 2011