Lorenzo Galati Giordano (M’15, SM’20) is Member of Technical Staff at Nokia Bell Labs Ireland since 2015. Lorenzo received the M.Sc. and the Ph.D. degrees in wireless communication from Politecnico di Milano, Italy, in 2005 and 2010, respectively, and the master's degree in Innovation Management from IlSole24Ore Business School, Italy, in 2014. He was also Marie-Curie Short Term Fellow at University of Bedfordshire (UK) in 2008, researcher associate with the Italian National Research Council in 2010 and R&D Engineer for Azcom Technology, an Italian SME, from 2010 to 2014. Lorenzo has more than 10 years of academical and industrial research experience on wireless communication systems and protocols, holds commercial patents and publications in prestigious books, IEEE journals and conferences. Lorenzo’s current focus is on future indoor networks and next generation Wi-Fi technologies, an area where he is contributing with pioneering works on large antenna arrays solutions for the unlicensed spectrum.
- Master in Innovation Management, 2013 – 2014, IlSole24Ore Business School (Milan-Italy).
- PhD in Wireless Communications, 2007 – 2010, Politecnico di Milano (Milan-Italy).
- Visiting Marie Curie PhD student, 2008, University of Bedfordshire (Luton-UK)
- Master Degree in Telecommunication Engineering, 1999 – 2005, Politecnico di Milano (Milan-Italy).
Honors & Awards
- The paper "IEEE 802.11be Extremely High Throughput: The Next Generation of Wi-Fi Technology Beyond 802.11ax," has entered the most popular list of IEEE Communication Magazine, which includes the 50 most frequently accessed documents for this publication.
- Awarded as top 10 inventor in Nokia Bell Labs Dublin (Ireland) for patent filings in 2018, developing a portfolio of fundamental patents to propose coordinated beamforming and null steering techniques into IEEE 802.11be standard.
- Most Attended Industry Program Award at IEEE Globecom 2017, Singapore, with the Industrial tutorial on "Drone Base Stations: Opportunities and Challenges Towards a Truly “Wireless” Wireless Network". (https://globecom2017.ieee-globecom.org/content/industry-program)
- Silver medal at the Edison Awards 2017, Consumer Electronics & Information Technology - Charging Technologies as key member of the Nokia F-Cell project, an innovative self-powered, self-configured and auto-connected drone deployed small cell powered by a massive MIMO wireless backhaul. (https://edisonawards.com/winners2017.php)
- CTIA Emerging Technology (E-Tech) 2016 Award for cutting-edge mobile products and services transforming Wide Area Networks (5G, 4G and LTE 4.5) as key member of the Nokia F-Cell project. (https://www.ctia.org/news/emerging-tech-award-winners)