Dr. Gerald M. Karam coordinates and participates in technology research and strategic planning for 6G across the domains of networking, security, and automation, and their intersection with adjacent technical efforts in radio communications and transport. Engages in external collaborative projects (including the Next Generation Alliance - NextGA, NSF RINGS, Networld Europe SRIA), acts as a Lab resource for the network software and architecture arenas, within the larger company efforts, and provides guidance and insight to key 6G efforts within the Lab in support of research contributions to the company goals. Principal Nokia contact for the NSF RINGS Gov’t/Industry/Academia collaborative research effort on Resilient, Intelligent, NextG Systems.
"The onset of the 6G era in telecommunications, touted to launch in 2030, is hoped to serve many masters and deliver an unparalleled improvement in capabilities, applications, intelligence, and indeed liberate human potential. The vision of 6G incorporates new radio frequencies and technologies, the integration of sensing, cognitive methods defining both network functions and their management, and new networking approaches for a broader scope of applications and distribution. The challenges for inventors lies in both physical devices and a substantive improvement in the development of functions implemented by, and managed, with software. "
Carleton University, PhD, Electrical Eng 1984 - 1987
Carleton University, MASc, Electrical Eng 1982 - 1984
University of Ottawa, BASc, Electrical Eng 1978 - 1982
IEEE Senior Member, ComSoc member
Selected articles and publications
Papers In Refereed Journals
- G. M. Karam, M. Gruber, I. Adam, F. Boutigny, Y. Miche and S. Mukherjee, "The Evolution of Networks and Management in a 6G world: An Inventor’s View," in IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, 2022, doi: 10.1109/TNSM.2022.3188200.
- J.W., Chinneck, V. Pureza, R.A. Goubran, G.M. Karam, M. Lavoie, "A Fast Task-to-Processor Assignment Heuristic for Real-Time Multiprocessor DSP Applications," Computers and Operations Research, 2002.
- G.M. Karam, "From Current to Future Telepresence Technologies," Canadian Artificial Intelligence Magazine, 1995.
- G.M. Karam and R.S. Casselman, "A Cataloguing Framework for Software Development Methods," IEEE Computer, February 1993.
- G.M. Karam and R.J.A. Buhr, "A Temporal Logic-Based Specification Language, and Deadlock Analyzer for Ada", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 10, October 1991, pp. 1109-1125.
- G.M. Karam, "Comments on Measurement of Ada Overhead in OSI-Style Communications Systems," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 12, December 1990, pp. 1435-1439.
- G.M. Karam and R.J.A. Buhr, "Starvation and Critical Race Analyzers for Ada," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 8, Aug. 1990, pp. 829-843.
- G.M. Karam, "The FODA Conformance Analyzer," Computer Standards and Interfaces (Elsevier Science Publishers), Vol. 10, 1990, pp. 103-116.
- G.M. Karam, "Computational Improvements in Prolog Applications By Predicate Variable Pointers," IEEE Tr. on Soft. Eng., Vol. 16, No. 5, May 1990, pp. 490-497.
- G.M. Karam, C. Stanczyk, and G.W. Bond, "Critical Races in Ada," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 11, November 1989, pp. 1471-1480.
- R.J.A. Buhr, G.M. Karam, C.J. Hayes, and C.M. Woodside, "Software CAD: A Revolutionary Approach," IEEE Tr. on Soft. Eng., Vol. 15, No. 3, Mar. 1989, pp. 235-249.
- G.M. Karam, "An Icon-Based Design Methodology for Prolog," IEEE Software, Vol. 5, No. 4, July 1988, pp. 51-65.
- A.R. Kaye and G.M. Karam, "A Distributed Knowledge System for the Office," ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, Vol. 5, No. 4, Oct. 1987, pp. 297-326.
- M. Goldberg, D.G. Goodenough, M. Alvo, and G.M. Karam, "A Hierarchical Expert System for Updating Forest Maps With LANDSAT Data," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 73, No. 6, June 1985, pp. 1054-1063.
Other Referred Publications
- E. Cheung, G. Karam, “A novel implementation of very large teleconferences,” Proceeding of IPTComm '10 Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications, Pages 84-90, August 2010.
- V. Subramonian, E. Cheung, G. Karam, “Automated Testing of a Converged Conferencing Application,” Workshop on Automated Software Test (AST 2009), May 2009.
- G.W. Bond, E. Cheung, H.H. Goguen, K.J. Hanson, D. Henderson, G.M. Karam, K.H. Purdy, T.M. Smith, P. Zave, “Experience with Component-Based Development of a Telecommunication Service,” International Symposium on Component-Based Software Engineering, Springer-Verlag LNCS, volume 3489, CBSE 2005: Component-Based Software Engineering pp 298-305.
- K. Hanson and G.M. Karam, "Community Websites as a Local Communication Network: Directory Westfield, An Experience Report,” Proceedings of the Second Kyoto Meeting on Digital Cities, October 2001.
- A. Skarra, K. Hanson, G. M. Karam, J. Elliot, "The IStudio Environment: An Experience Report,” IEEE XML Technologies and Software Engineering Workshop (ICSE) May 2001.
- R. Etemadi, G.M. Karam, and S. Majumdar, "Heuristic Algorithms for Priority Assignment in Flow Shops" IEEE International Performance, Computer, and Communication Conference (IPCCC ’98).
- G.M. Karam, B. McLeod, and G. Boersma, "A Network Services Interface for Telepresence Applications," in Proceedings of IEEE Intl. Symp. on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (ISADS'95), Phoenix, AZ, April 1995, pp. 323-329.
- G.M. Karam, "Visualization using Timelines," International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA), Seattle, WA, August 1994.
- J.L. Boyd and G.M. Karam, "Entity Behaviour Descriptions: A Specification Model for Communicating Entities," in Proceedings of 17th Annual Intl. Conference on Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC '93), November 1993, Phoenix AZ.
- J.L. Boyd and G.M. Karam, "Using Design Fragments to Modularize Design of Communications in Concurrent Systems," in Proceedings of 7th Intl. Workshop on Software Specification and Design (IWSSD 7), December 1993, Redondo Beach, CA.
- R.E. Fayek, R. Liscano, and G.M. Karam, "A System Architecture for a Mobile Robot based on Activities and a Blackboard Control Unit," in 1993 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May 1993.
- [R. Liscano, R.E. Fayek, and G.M. Karam, "A Blackboard, Activity-based Control Architecture for a Mobile Platform," in Proceedings of 5th IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots, Raleigh, NC, July, 1992, pp. 333-338.
- R.J.A Buhr, G.M. Karam, C.M. Woodside, R. Casselman, G. Franks, H.J. Scott, D.L. Bailey, "TimeBench: A CAD Tool for Real-Time System Design," in Proceedings of IEEE/ACM 2nd Intl. Symposium on Environments and Tools for Ada (SETA2), Washington, D.C., January 1991.
- R.J.A. Buhr, G.M. Karam, and R. Casselman, "Support for Specifying Temporal Behaviour in Ada Designs," in Proceedings of First International Symposium on Environments and Tools for Ada, Redondo Beach, CA, May 1990 in special issue of Ada Letters, Vol. XI, No. 3, pp.91-101.
- G.M. Karam (editor), "TimeBench," product description for IEEE Software Tools Fair Issue, Vol. 7, No. 3, May 1990, pp. 39.
- R.G. Brown, J.W. Chinneck, G.M. Karam, "Optimization with Constraint Programming Systems," in Impact of Recent Computer Advances on Operations Research, R. Sharda, ed., North Holland, 1989, pp. 463-473.
- G.M. Karam and R.J.A. Buhr, "Experience with the Automatic Temporal Analysis of Multitasking Ada Designs," Proceedings of the International Ada Conference, Boston, Mass., December 1987, pp. 36-44.
- G.M. Karam and R.J.A. Buhr, "Embedded Design Knowledge in CAEDE: Experiments on the Detection of Critical Races," in Proceedings of the 2nd Int'l Conf. on Ada Applications and Environments, Miami, Florida, April 1986, pp. 93-98.
- R.J.A. Buhr, C.M. Woodside, G.M. Karam, K. Van der Loo and D.G. Lewis, "Experiments With Prolog Design Descriptions and Tools in CAEDE: An Iconic Design Environment for Multitasking Embedded Systems," in Proceedings of 8th International Conf. on Software Engineering, London, England, Aug. 1985, pp. 62-67.
- R.J.A. Buhr, G.M. Karam, and C.M. Woodside, "An Overview and Example Application of CAEDE: A New, Experimental Design Environment for Ada," in Proceedings of International Ada Conference, Paris, France, May 1985, pp. 173-184.
- G.M. Karam, M. Goldberg, L.D. Tran, and M. Alvo, "An Interactive Hierarchical Clustering Scheme," in Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Montreal, Canada, July 1984, Vol. 2 pp. 911-913.
- M. Goldberg, G.M. Karam, and M. Alvo, "The Analysis of LANDSAT Imagery Using An Expert System: Forestry Applications," in Proc. of the Sixth Intl. Symp. on Automatic Cartography, (Auto- Carto Six), Ottawa, Canada, Oct. 1983, pp. 493-503.
- M. Goldberg, G.M. Karam, and M. Alvo, "A Production Rule-Based Expert System for Interpreting Multi-Temporal LANDSAT Imagery," in Proc. of the IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR `83), Washington, D.C., June 1983, pp. 77-82.
- M. Goldberg, D. Schlaps, M. Alvo, and G.M. Karam, "Monitoring Change Detection With LANDSAT Imagery," in Proceedings of the Sixth International Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Munich, Germany, October 1982.
- M. Goldberg, M. Alvo, and G.M. Karam, "A Measure of Confidence for Improving Classifications of LANDSAT Imagery", in Proc. of the IEEE Conf. on Pattern Recognition & Image Proc. (PRIP `82), Las Vegas, Nevada, June 1982, pp. 155-157.
- VoiceXML 2.0 Specification, World Wide Web Consortium, 2004 (contributor)
- VoiceXML 1.0 Specification, VoiceXML Forum, 2000 (co-author)
- G.M. Karam and J.C. Bryant, Principles of Computer Systems, Prentice-Hall, 1992 (444 pages) (textbook for undergraduate use).
- 10,205,691 Presence information based messaging
- 10,187,509 Enhanced video sharing
- 9,641,798 Very large conference spanning multiple media servers in cascading arrangement
- 9,626,856 Detecting presence using a presence sensor network
- 9,602,448 Presence information based messaging
- 9,473,642 Methods and systems for providing location sensitive conference calling
- 9,437,099 Detecting presence using a presence sensor network
- 9,224,284 Detecting presence using a presence sensor network
- 9,100,788 Proximity sensor network
- 9,009,767 Process and method of providing a shared experience with multimedia content
- 8,837,459 Method and apparatus for providing asynchronous audio messaging
- 8,774,787 Methods and systems for providing location-sensitive conference calling
- 8,768,296 Method and apparatus for random access of voice mail messages
- 8,739,234 Process and method of providing a shared experience with multimedia content
- 8,675,524 Method and apparatus for dynamically allocating resources for large-scale multimedia conferences
- 8,674,829 Proximity sensor network
- 8,606,227 Secure access to restricted resource
- 8,545,369 Methods, systems, and computer program products for providing remote participation in multi-media events
- 8,376,910 Methods, systems, and computer program products for providing remote participation in multi-media events
- 8,224,288 Method and apparatus for random access of voice mail messages
- 8,111,636 Method and apparatus for providing spontaneous multi-way telephone conversation with inserted messaging
- 8,090,084 Automated call router for business directory using the world wide web
- 8,060,373 System and method of identifying contact information
- 7,917,527 Personalized directory services for web routing
- 7,881,449 Enhanced call notification service
- 7,664,058 Method and apparatus for providing spontaneous multi-way telephone conversation with inserted messaging
- 7,593,392 Method and apparatus for providing asynchronous audio messaging
- 7,164,762 Enhanced call feature service
- 6,694,003 Method and apparatus for prepaid inbound call forwarding service
- 6,456,711 Method for placing a call intended for an enhanced network user on hold while the enhanced network user is unavailable to take the call using a distributed feature architecture
Honors & Awards
Notable Canadian IEEE Member, Issued by IEEE Canada · Sep 2008
“For developing first IEEE online application in 1996. 25 Year History of IEEE Canada – Sections Congress 2008”
AT&T Fellow, Issued by AT&T · Nov 2007
“For technical contribution and leadership in the creation and implementation of VoiceXML and voice services over IP” (AT&T’s Highest Technical Honor) “For technical contribution and leadership in the creation and implementation of VoiceXML and voice services over IP” (AT&T’s Highest Technical Honor)
AT&T Science & Technology Medal, Issued by AT&T · Nov 2004
“For technical innovation & leadership in human/computer communication including the creation & implementation of VoiceXML & voice services over IP” “For technical innovation & leadership in human/computer communication including the creation & implementation of VoiceXML & voice services over IP”
IEEE Millennium Medal, Issued by IEEE · Jan 2000
“For a long history of contributions to Student Membership Development” “For a long history of contributions to Student Membership Development”
IEEE Regional Activities Board Innovation Award, Issued by IEEE · Jan 1998
"For aggressively developing and pursuing innovative solutions to the issue of student retention."