FREDERIK VANDEPUTTE is a research engineer in the IP Platforms Research Program in Bell Labs in Antwerp, Belgium. He obtained his master's degree in Computer Science in 2003 at Ghent University, Belgium, developing a link-time optimizer for the IA64 architecture during his master's thesis. In 2008, he obtained his PhD in Computer Science at Ghent University for doing research on characterizing and exploiting the time-varying behavior of applications on multi-configuration processor architectures. In 2008, he did a joint research project with Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs at Ghent University, focusing on software parallelization, and evaluating the real-time capabilities, scheduling efficiency and performance of the Linux operating system.
He joined Bell Labs in 2009, continuing his work on software parallelization for many-core as well as heterogeneous architectures for media processing applications, where he also created a framework for efficiently developing and deploying real-time media applications on modern hardware.
Between 2012 and 2015, he worked on a number of research topics related to heterogeneous clouds, cloud orchestration, network functions virtualization and performance optimization and predictability, during which he was a work package leader of the FUSION FP7 project involving service-oriented networking for demanding real-time media applications, developed an application-specific cloud container orchestration framework, and became co-lead of an internal research project called Future Spaces on managing dynamic fine-grained cloud-driven network slices for IoT devices.
Since 2018, he is working on applying AL/ML for transforming software development practices. He is author or co-author of over a dozen papers in international conferences and journals.
Selected articles and publications
- M. Boussard, D. Bui, R. Douville, P. Justen, N. Le Sauze, P. Peloso, F. Vandeputte and V. Verdot. Future Spaces: Reinventing the Home Network for Better Security and Automation in the IoT Era. Sensors. 2018. 18. 2986.
- P. Simoens, D. Griffin, E. Maini, T. K. Phan, M. Rio, L. Vermoesen, F. Vandeputte, F. Schamel and D. Burstzynowski. Service-Centric Networking for Distributed Heterogeneous Clouds, in IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 208-215, July 2017.
- F. Vandeputte, L. Vermoesen, D. Griffin, T. Khoa Phan, M. Rio, P. Simoens, P. Smet, D. Bursztynowski, F. Schamel and M. Franke, Evaluator services for optimised service placement in distributed heterogeneous cloud infrastructures, 2015 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), Paris, 2015, pp. 439-444.
- F. Vandeputte and L. Vermoesen. The need for reconciling cloud with real-time media applications and specialized hardware. Bell Labs Technical Journal on Software-Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization, September 2014.
- F. Vandeputte and L. Eeckhout. Finding extreme behaviors in microprocessor workloads. Transactions on High Performance Embedded Architectures and Compilers (HiPEAC), 2009.
- F. Vandeputte and L. Eeckhout. Finding stress patterns in microprocessor workloads. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on High Performance Embedded Architectures and Compilers (HiPEAC), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 153–167, 2009.
- F. Vandeputte and L. Eeckhout. Characterizing time-varying behaviour using phase complexity surfaces. Transactions on High Performance Embedded Architectures and Compilers (HiPEAC), Vol. 4 (1), 2009.
- S. Gheorghita, M. Palkovic, J. Hamers, A. Vandecappelle, S. Mamagkakis, T. Basten, L. Eeckhout, H. Corporaal, F. Catthoor, F. Vandeputte, K. De Bosschere. System-scenario-based design of dynamic embedded systems. ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems. Vol. 14 (1), pages 1–44, 2009.
- F. Vandeputte and L. Eeckhout. Phase complexity surfaces: characterizing time-varying program behavior. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on High Performance Embedded Architectures and Compilers (HiPEAC), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 320–334, 2008.
- F. Vandeputte, L. Eeckhout and K. De Bosschere. Exploiting Program Phase Behavior for Energy Reduction on Multi-Configuration Processors. Special Issue on Architectures, Modeling and Simulation for Embedded Processors. Journal of Systems Architecture. Vol. 53 (8), pages 489–500, 2007.
- F. Vandeputte, L. Eeckhout and K. De Bosschere. A Detailed Study on Phase Predictors. Proceedings of the 11th International Euro-Par Conference. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol. 3648, pages 571–581, 2005.
- F. Vandeputte, L. Eeckhout and K. De Bosschere. Offline Phase Analysis and Optimization for Multi-Configuration Processors. Proceedings of the 5th International SAMOS Workshop. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol. 3553, pages 202–211, 2005.
- B. Anckaert, F. Vandeputte, B. De Bus, B. De Sutter and K. De Bosschere. Link-Time Optimization of IA64 Binaries. Proceedings of the 10th International Euro-Par Conference. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol. 3149, pages 284–291, 2004.