I started working at Bell Labs in the Service Infrastructure research domain in Antwerp, Belgium, which then became a part of the Enabling Computing Technologies domain in early 2011. After a brief stint in the Wireless Program in late 2013, the High Performance System Software team was transferred to the IP Platform program, and then back to Wireless. In 2015 I relocated to Paris-Saclay, France, where I now manage a department working on research aspects of NFV systems design and deployment.
During my Ph.D (between 2004 and 2007), I was funded by France Telecom R&D (now Orange Labs) and had my main office in the Paris FTR&D laboratories.
B.S. Electronic Engineering, Politecnico di Torino (Turin, Italy), 2003
M.S. in Networks and Distributed Systems, University of Nice – Sophia Antipolis (France) 2004
M.S. Electronic Engineering, Politecnico di Torino (Turin, Italy), 2008
Ph.D. University of Nice – Sophia Antipolis (France), for work on peer-to-peer live media streaming systems under the guidance of Prof. E.W. Biersack.
Reviewer for several conferences and journals
EURECOM, graduate 2004
Member of IEEE since 2006
LINCS associate member since 2016
Selected articles and publications
- Pianese, F; Danielsen, P J Augmenting Practical Cross-layer MAC Schedulers via Offline Reinforcement Learning, 28th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2017), Montreal, QC, Canada, October 2017
- Nandugudi, A; Gallo, M; Perino, D; Pianese, F Network function virtualization: through the looking-glass, Ann. Telecommun. (2016) 71: 573.
- Pianese, F; Danielsen, P J Optimized Data-driven MAC Schedulers for Low-Latency Downlink in LTE Networks, 12th IFIP/IEEE Wireless On-demand Network systems and Services Conference (WONS 2016), Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, January 2016
- Pianese, F; Perino, D; Keller, J; Biersack, E W PULSE: an adaptive, incentive-based, unstructured P2P live streaming system, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Special Issue on Content Storage and Delivery in Peer-to-Peer Networks, Volume 9 N°6, November 2007
- An, X; Pianese, F; Widjaja, I; Acer, U G DMME: A Distributed LTE Mobility Management Entity, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Special Issue on Communication and Computing in the Cloud, Volume 17 N°2, September 2012
- Pianese, F; An, X; Kawsar, F; Ishizuka, H Discovering and Predicting User Routines by Differential Analysis of Social Network Traces14th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (IEEE WoWMoM 2013), Madrid, Spain, June 2013
- Pianese, F; Acer U G Discovery Of Objects In Wireless Environment, US Patent 9,467,842 (2016)
- Pianese, F; Evans, N Decentralized Electronic Transfer System, US Patent 9,258,307 (2015)
- Mullender, S; Mckie, JB; Pianese, F; Evans N A method of managing computer memory, corresponding computer program product, and data storage device thereforEP Patent 2,416,251 (2012)
- Janssens, N; Pianese, F; Bosch, P; Duminuco, A Method and apparatus for providing distributed mobility management in a networkEP Patent 2,442,596 (2012)
- Pianese, F; Bosch, PMethod and apparatus for mitigating buffering delay at a network edgeEP Patent 2,530,898 (2012)
Honors & Awards
Best paper award, 12th IFIP/IEEE conference on Wireless On-demand Network systems and Services (WONS 2016)