Dmitry Chizhik received a Ph.D. in Electrophysics at the Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY.
His thesis work has been in ultrasonics and non-destructive evaluation. He joined the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, New London, CT where he did research in scattering from ocean floor, geoacoustic modeling of porous media and shallow water acoustic propagation. In 1996 he has joined Bell Labs, working on radio propagation modeling and measurements, using deterministic and statistical techniques. He has worked on measurement, modeling and channel estimation of MIMO channels. The results are used both for determination of channel-imposed bounds on channel capacity, system performance, as well as for optimal antenna array design. His recent work has included mm wave modeling, system and link simulations of satellite and femto cell radio communications that included all aspects of the physical layer. His research interests are in acoustic and electromagnetic wave propagation, signal processing,communications, radar, sonar, medical imaging.
Ph. D. in Electrophysics. Minor: Physics, NYU Polytechnic Institute
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, NYU Polytechnic Institute
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, NYU Polytechnic Institute
Selected articles and publications
- D. Chizhik, J. Du and R. A. Valenzuela, "Universal Path Gain Laws for Common Wireless Communication Environments," in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, accepted, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2021.3121173.
- D. Chizhik, J. Du, R. Feick, M. Rodriguez, G. Castro and R. A. Valenzuela, "Path Loss and Directional Gain Measurements at 28 GHz for Non-Line-of-Sight Coverage of Indoors With Corridors," in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, June 2020.
- D. Chizhik, J. Moilanen, S. Klein, L. Maestro and R. A. Valenzuela, "Analytic Propagation Approximation over Variable Terrain and Comparison to Data," 2020 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2020.
- J. Du, D. Chizhik, R. Feick, M. Rodríguez, G. Castro and R. A. Valenzuela, "Suburban Fixed Wireless Access Channel Measurements and Models at 28 GHz for 90% Outdoor Coverage," in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Jan. 2020.
- D. Chizhik, J. Ling, R.A. Valenzuela, "Self-Alignment of Interference Arising From Hallway Guidance of Diffuse Fields", IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, July 2014.
- D. Chizhik, J. Ling, R.A.Valenzuela, "Radio Wave Diffusion Indoors and Throughput Scaling with Cell Density", IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, September, 2012.
- D. Chizhik, L. Drabeck, W. M. MacDonald, “Propagation Over Parabolic Terrain: Asymptotics And Comparison To Data”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, June, 2010.
- D. Chizhik and J.Ling, “Propagation over Clutter: Physical Stochastic Model”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, April, 2008.
- D. Chizhik, "Slowing the time-fluctuating MIMO channel by beam-forming", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Sept. 2004.
- H. Xu, D. Chizhik, H. Huang, R.Valenzuela, “A Generalized Space-Time Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) Channel Model”,IEEE Trans. On Wireless Communications, May 2004.
- D. Chizhik, G. J. Foschini, M. J. Gans, R. A. Valenzuela, “Keyholes, correlations, and capacities of multielement transmit and receive antennas”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, April 2002.
- D. Chizhik, J. Ling, P. Wolniansky, R. Valenzuela, N. Costa, K. Huber, "Multiple Input Multiple Output Measurements and Modeling in Manhattan", IEEE Journal on Sel. Areas of Communications, special issue on MIMO, April, 2003
- G. J. Foschini, D. Chizhik, C. B. Papadias, R. A. Valenzuela, M. J. Gans, "Some Basic Layered Spacetime Architectures And Their Performance", invited paper, IEEE Journal on Sel. Areas of Communications, special issue on MIMO, April, 2003
- D. Chizhik, F. Rashid-Farrokhi, J. Ling, A. Lozano, “Effect of antenna separation on the capacity of BLAST in correlated channels", IEEE Comm. Letters, November 2000.
D. Chizhik,R. A. Valenzuela, “Methods for locating transmitters using backward ray tracing”, US patent 7,764,230.
D. Chizhik, H. Xu, "Slowing the observed rate of channel fluctuations in a multiple antenna system", US patent 6,999,724
M. Moffett, T. R. Shrout, J. M. Powers, D. Chizhik, T. B. Straw, "Omnidirectional ultrasonic microprobe hydrophone". US patent 5,724,315.