I am a Research Scientist at Bell Labs in Cambridge, UK. My work enables AI to make the most out of real-world data (e.g. mobile sensors, timeseries, audio or other modalities), through data-efficient, transferrable, and modality-agnostic machine learning.
Previously, I was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Cambridge, where I received my PhD in Computer Science supervised by Prof. Cecilia Mascolo. During my studies, I was fortunate to work in diverse industries including companies such as Microsoft Research, Telefonica Research, Ocado, Qustodio (acquired for $50M), and research labs.
My research has been published in top venues in artificial intelligence (NeurIPS, KDD), ML+Health (Nature Digital Medicine, CHIL), human-computer interaction (UbiComp, MobileHCI), and signal processing (ICASSP, Interspeech), among others. Recent projects have been featured in international media such as the BBC, CNN, Forbes, Financial Times, Guardian and more.
Program Committee (PC): AAAI 2021-, IJCAI 2020, KDD 2020- (PC & Session Chair), SDM 2022, Sensiblend @ Ubicomp 2021
Organizer: Tutorial on federated learning for mobile sensing at MobiCom 2021 (held April 2022, co-organized with Samsung AI)
Reviewer: Nature Digital Medicine, Nature Scientific Reports, NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, AAAI, IJCAI, KDD, CHI, Ubicomp/IMWUT, CHIL, ICASSP, Expert Systems with Applications, Neurocomputing, WWW/The Web Conference, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Sensors, ICWSM, ICPR, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Computer Networks, The Visual Computer, and more.
Selected articles and publications
Full publication list on Google Scholar.
Honors & Awards
- Hall of Fame Better Future Award, University of Cambridge (2022)
- MobiCom'21 ACM SIGMOBILE Travel Award (2022)
- KDD'19 ACM SIGKDD Travel Award (2019)
- Jesus College Cambridge Travel Award (2021 & 2019)
- PhD Open Day, Facebook London, 1 out of 10 shortlisted posters (2018)
- AI Summer School, Microsoft Research, 100 selected students (2018)
- Embiricos Trust Jesus College Cambridge PhD scholarship (2017)
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD scholarship (2017)
- Marie Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange Grant (2016)
- Trip to Stanford/Silicon Valley, 1 out of 250 students nationwide (2013)
Audio AI for COVID-19: Cambridge University (1), Cambridge University (2), BBC, The Guardian, Financial Times, The Times, Forbes, Slate, DailyMail, ITV, IEEE Spectrum, TheNextWeb, STAT, EPFL, TheScientist, The Register, KDnuggets, NPR/WBUR, Royal Society of Biology, Lancet Digital Health, Psychology Today, El Pais (Spain), RAI (Italy), Corriere della Sera (Italy), DerStandard (Austria).