Anna Zakrzewska is a research scientist at Nokia Bell Labs in Dublin, Ireland. Her main research interests are in the area of wireless communications and focus on self-organising networks, which benefit greatly from data analytics and machine learning. Several of her patented network management mechanisms are used to automate configuration of millions of small cells and Wi-Fi access points around the world. She received the M.Sc. Eng. degree in information and communication technology from Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland and the Ph.D. degree from the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in 2008 and 2014, respectively. Prior to the Ph.D. studies, she was with NTT Communication Science Laboratories in Atsugi, Japan and the European Commission Joint Research Centre in Ispra, Italy. Anna was honoured with the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education Scholarship in the years 2005-2008 and recognized as the double finalist of the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship in 2012 and 2013. She is a Senior Member of IEEE. Anna enjoys speaking about technology and often partcipates in various STEM outreach activities.
- Ph.D. in telecommunications from the Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 2014
- M.Sc. Eng. in teleinformatics from the Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland, 2008
Selected articles and publications
- A. Zakrzewska and L. Ho, "Dynamic Channel Bandwidth Use through Efficient Channel Assignment in IEEE 802.11ac Networks," 2019 IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2019-Fall), Honolulu, HI, USA, 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/VTCFall.2019.8891243
- P. Zwierzykowski, P. Xiao, D. Vukobratovic, A. Zakrzewska, “Slicing in Modern Cellular Networks,” Editorial in Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2019
- A. Zakrzewska, D. Lopez-Perez, L. Ho, H. Claussen and H. Gacanin, "Cell ID Management in Multi-Vendor and Multi-RAT Heterogeneous Networks," in IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 417-429, June 2019, doi: 10.1109/TNSM.2019.2903494
- A. Zakrzewska, L. Ho, H. Gacanin and H. Claussen, "Coordination of SON Functions in Multi-Vendor Femtocell Networks," in IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 165-171, July 2017, doi: 10.1109/MCOM.2017.1600530
- A. Zakrzewska, S. Ruepp, M. S. Berger, "Towards Converged 5G Mobile Networks- Challenges and Current Trends", ITU-T Kaleidoscope 2014, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 2014.
- A. Zakrzewska, D. López-Pérez, S. Kucera, H. Claussen, "Dual Connectivity in LTE HetNets with Split Control- and User- Plane," 9th Broadband Wireless Access Workshop, IEEE Globecom 2013, Atlanta, USA, Dec. 2013.
- A. Zakrzewska, S. Ruepp, M. S. Berger, "RAT Selection and Resource Allocation in Heterogeneous Networks -OPNET Modeler in Optimization Studies," OPNETWORK 2013, Washington D. C., USA, Aug. 2013.
- A. Zakrzewska, A. Popovska Avramova, H. Christiansen, Y. Yan, A. Checko, A. Dogadaev, S. Ruepp, M. S. Berger, L. Dittmann, "A Framework for Joint Optical-Wireless Resource Management in Multi-RAT, Heterogeneous Mobile Networks", Workshop on Optical-Wireless Integrated Technology for Systems and Networks (OWITSN) 2013, IEEE ICC 2013, Budapest, Hungary, June 2013.
- A. Zakrzewska, F. D'Andreagiovanni, S. Ruepp, M. S. Berger, "Biobjective Optimization of Radio Access Technology Selection and Resource Allocation in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks", RAWNET/WNC3 2013, The 9th Inter. Workshop on Resource Allocation, Cooperation and Competition in Wireless Networks, WiOpt 2013, Tsukuba Science City, Japan, May 2013.
- A. Zakrzewska, V. B. Iversen, "Resource Sharing in Heterogeneous and Cloud Radio Access Networks", International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems (ICUMT), pp 41-46, St. Petersburg, Russia, Oct. 2012.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Achievement Award for creating and transferring technology to the key network management product: Motive Small Cell SON Engine, 2015
- Best Paper Award: ITU Kaleidoscope 2014
- Distinguished Technical Paper Award: OPNETWORK 2013
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship: Double finalist 2012 and 2013
- Polish Talents Scholarship 2007: One of the 66 scholarships granted to the students of computer science and telecommunication engineering by Polish Telecom- Telekomunikacja Polska S.A.
- Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education Scholarship: Scholarship awarded annually in recognition of the scientific achievements, granted 3 times in the years 2005-2007.