Salvatore was awarded a PhD in Chemistry from the University of Cambridge (UK) and obtained his BSc and MSc in Industrial Chemistry from the University of Bologna (Italy).
Dr Salvatore Zarra is a Senior Researcher in the 2D Materials and Devices team at Bell Labs in Cambridge (UK). Since joining Nokia in 2014 he has led and worked on R&D projects for the development of sensors, actuators, energy storage and harvesting by leveraging his knowledge and expertise in chemistry, materials science, nanotechnology and product development. His research focuses on developing wearable devices including smart textile for application in fitness and health monitoring as well as developing autonomous devices for the Internet of Things both for industrial and home environments. He is inventor on six patent applications in the fields of chemistry, materials science, sensing, energy storage and harvesting. He is co-author of about twenty articles published in peer-reviewed international journals with more than 600 citations.
- Energy Harvesting
- Materials Science
Honors and Awards
- 21st “Guido Paolucci” Rotary Prize given to the graduate in Industrial Chemistry with the highest grades, Bologna, Italy, June 2011.
- Prize winner for oral presentations at RSC Physical–Organic Postgraduate Meeting (Syngenta, Bracknell, UK, May 2013) and at BP Day (Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK, April 2013).
- Collegio Superiore (school of excellence of Alma Mater Studiorum - University of Bologna) grant, University of Bologna, Italy, 2008 - 2010.
- "Toso Montanari” scholarship, Faculty of Industrial Chemistry, University of Bologna, Italy, 2008 - 2010.
Selected Articles and Publications
- Zarra S., Wood D.M., Roberts D.A., Nitschke J.R., Chem. Soc. Rev. 2015, 44, 419.
Sallesⱡ Jr A.G., Zarraⱡ S., Turner R.M., Nitschke J.R., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135, 19143.
Zarra S., Clegg J.K., Nitschke J.R., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 4837.
Smuldersⱡ M.M.J., Zarraⱡ S., Nitschke J.R., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 7039.
Zarra S., Smulders M.M.J., Lefebvre Q., Nitschke J.R. et al., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 6882.
ⱡ Joint first authorship
- Zarra S., Reduced graphene oxide, its derivatives, preparation method and ink thereof. (2015).
- Wei D., Zarra S., An apparatus and associated methods for electrical storage (2015).
- Haque S., Wei D., Borini S., Zarra S., Apparatus comprising proton battery cells and a removable barrier layer. (2015).
- Haque S., Colli A., Zarra S., Borini S., An apparatus and method for sensing (2015).