2010 Elected to US National Academy of Engineering
2010 John Tyndall Award (Optical Society of America and the IEEE Photonics Society)
2008 Millennium Technology Prize Laureate (Technology Academy Finland)
2004 Fraunhofer Award / Burley Prize (Optical Society of America)
2001 Bell Labs Fellow
2001 Bell Labs President’s Gold Award
2000 Fellow of Optical Society of America
2000 Inventor of Year Award-Communications, Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation
1. Phase locking in a multi-channel quantum communication system, April 2010, US patent 7,706,536 (use of carrier-envelope-offset lasers to generate WDM comb to enable 100-1000x increase in QKD rate).
2. Speckle reduction in laser-projector images, March 2009 US patent 7,502,160 (mitigation of laser speckle through active speckle mixing).
3. Direct optical image projectors, October 2008, US patent 7,440,158 (image projector using first-order diffraction)
4. Optical WDM-TDM network, March 2008 US patent 7,340,172 (Efficient means of packet scheduling and delivery in optical wavelength-multiplexed networks).
5. Photogenerator for lightwave networks, January 1999 US patent 5,859,719 (optical-powering of remote subsystem for enhanced network functionality).
6. Micro-optical-electromechanical devices and method therefore, November 1999, US patent 5,995,688 (MEMS devices on silicon optical bench platform).
7. Erbium doped fiber amplifier, April 1991, US patent 5,005,175 (practical embodiment of the erbium doped fiber amplifier for telecommunications).