- 1990 B.Sc. with 1st Class Honours in Physics, Heriot-Watt University, UK.
- 1993 Ph.D. in Physics, Heriot-Watt University, UK. Thesis titled ‘Optical Nonlinearities and Switching in InGaAs Quantum Wells’
Crawford Hill, NJ, USA
Dr David Neilson is Technical Manager of Advanced Photonic Integration Group of Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent. He has been with Bell Laboratories in Holmdel NJ since 1998, where he conducted research on MEMS based switches and compensators, highly integrated InP based optoelectronic components and subsystems, the role of optical interconnects and switching for high capacity optical switches and routers and the energy consumption of networks.
Prior to joining Bell labs he was a Visiting Scientist at NEC Research Institute,Princeton, NJ, researching optical interconnects for high-performance computing.
He has over 130 publications and 20 issued patents in the field of optical interconnects, switching and optoelectronic devices. Dr. Neilson is a Fellow of IEEE and a Senior Member of the Optical Society of America (OSA).
Honors and Awards
- Fellow IEEE
- Bell Labs President’s Gold Award for the WaveStar LambdaRouter, 2000.
- Lucent Chairman’s Award for Bell Labs Research Summit 2005
- Bell Labs Teamwork award for IRIS optical router May 2007
Selected Articles and Publications
- D. T. Neilson, C. R. Doerr, D. M. Marom, R. Ryf and M. P. Earnshaw, Wavelength selective switching for optical bandwidth management. Bell Labs Technical Journal Special Issue: Optical Networking Volume 11, Issue 2, pages 105–128, Summer 2006
- D.T. Neilson et al., Fully Provisioned 112x112 Micro-Mechanical Optical CrossConnect With 35.8Tb/sDemonstrated Capacity, in Optical Fiber Communication Conference, OSA Technical Digest Series (Optical Society of America, 2000), paper PD12.
- D. T. Neilson, Photonics for switching and routing, Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of , vol.12, no.4, pp.669,678, July-Aug. 2006
Books and Chapters
- Roland Ryf, David T. Neilson, Vladimir A. Aksyuk, ’MEMS Based Optical Switching’ Chapter 6 in ʺOptical Switchingʺ, Ed. Tarek S. El‐Bawab, Kluwer Academic Publishers (April 2006) ISBN: 0‐387‐26141‐9