Walter Etter is a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ. He received his MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich. In 1987 he founded Audissimo High-End Audio, a company dedicated to audiophile products. During his PhD program in 1990, he collaborated with the Biomedical Engineering Lab at the University of Illinois on noise reduction for hearing aids. In 1993, he joined Bell Labs to pursue research in speech processing with emphasis on noise reduction, noise-adaptive compression, and noise estimation. His algorithms were implemented in a number of Lucent's Echo Canceller and Voice Enhancement Systems (Cadenza, Symphony, Sonata) as key features of Studio Sound™. As a DSP expert, he has been engaged in a wide range of fields, including speech coding, digital control (for optical amplifiers in LambdaXtreme), and video processing. He collaborated with Alcatel-Lucent’s Enterprise Group in areas of noise reduction, acoustic echo cancellation, and spatial audio. His current research interests center on multi-modal spatial audio acquisition and rendering of uncompromised speech, as well as cloud-based spatial audio processing. Focusing on the remote participant of a conference, he strives to provide a compelling auditory experience with detailed spatial resolution combined with a highly intelligible and pleasing sound quality. He has authored several papers and holds over fifteen patents.
- PhD, EE, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich
- MSc, EE, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich
Selected articles and publications
- W.Etter, "Distance and Near-Field Compensation Applied to Microphones,” IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, New Paltz, New York, Oct. 20-23, 2013.
- W. Etter, "Distance-Based Automatic Gain Control with Continuous Proximity-Effect Compensation,” Audio Eng. Soc., 133rd Conference, San Francisco, Oct. 26-29, 2012.
- D. C. Kilper, M. Waldow, W. Etter, and C. Xie, “Control Process Gain of Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifiers with Wavelength Division Multiplexed Signals,” in Proc. OAA, 2006.
- W. Etter, "Restoration of a Discrete-Time Signal Segment by Interpolation Based on the Left-Sided and Right-Sided Autoregressive Parameters,” IEEE Trans. Signal Proc., Vol. 44, No. 5, May 1996, pages 1124-1135.
- W. Etter, G. S. Moschytz, "Noise Reduction by Noise-Adaptive Spectral Magnitude Expansion. J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 42, No. 5, May 1994, pages 341-349.
- W. Etter, G. S. Moschytz, D. Graupe, "Adaptive noise reduction using discrimination functions," IEEE International Conference on Audio, Speech and Signal Proc., Toronto, 1991.
- More than 15 patents