René-Jean Essiambre was born on March 26 1967 in Tourelle, a small remote fisherman village in eastern Québec, Canada. He is the last child of a family of seven. He grew up enjoying outdoor activities such as biking, running, riding snowmobiles, fishing, hunting and playing several team sports such as soccer and hockey. During his childhood, he was captivated and very much enjoyed learning mathematics and physics.
- B.Sc. in Physics at Laval University, Québec, Canada (1988). General physics.
- M.Sc. in Physics at Laval University, Québec, Canada (1990). Studied the large-scale structure of the universe using fractal geometry.
- Ph.D in Physics at Laval University, Québec, Canada (1994). Studied nonlinear switching in fibers and solitons. Also studied solid-state physics at McGill University, Québec, Canada during one year.
- Postdoctoral Studies at The Institute of Optics at the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA.
- Member of the Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of the American Physical Society (APS)
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Selected articles and publications
- R.-J. Essiambre, R. Ryf, N. K. Fontaine, and S. Randel, `Space-division multiplexing in multimode and multicore fi bers for high-capacity optical communication,' Photon. J. 5, paper 0701307 (2013).
- S. Mumtaz, R.-J. Essiambre, and G. P. Agrawal, `Nonlinear propagation in multimode and multicore bers: generalization of the Manakov equations,' J. Lightwave Technol. 31, pp. 398-406 (2013).
- R.-J. Essiambre, R. Ryf, M. A. Mestre, A. H. Gnauck, R. W. Tkach, A. R. Chraplyvy, Y. Sun, X. Jiang, and R. Lingle Jr, `Experimental investigation of inter-modal four-wave mixing in few-mode fi bers,' Photon. Technol. Lett. 25, pp. 539-541 (2013).
- A. Mecozzi and R.-J. Essiambre, `Nonlinear Shannon limit in pseudo-linear coherent systems,' J. Lightwave Technol. 30, pp. 2011-2024 (2012).
- R.-J. Essiambre and R. W. Tkach, `Capacity trends and limits of optical communication networks,' Proc. of the IEEE 100, pp. 1035-1055 (2012).
- R.-J. Essiambre, G. Kramer, P. J. Winzer, G. J. Foschini, and B. Goebel, `Capacity limits of optical fiber networks,' J. Lightwave Technol., 28, pp. 662-701 (2010).
- R.-J. Essiambre, G. J. Foschini, G. Kramer, and P. J. Winzer, `Capacity limits of information transport in fiber-optic networks,' Phys. Rev. Lett., 101, 163901 (2008).
- R.-J. Essiambre, P. J. Winzer, Xun Qing Wang, W. Lee, C.A. White, and E.C. Burrows, `Electronic predistortion and ber nonlinearity,' Photon. Technol. Lett. 17, pp. 1804-1806 (2006).
- P. J. Winzer and R.-J. Essiambre, `Advanced optical modulation formats,' Proc. of the IEEE 94, pp. 952-985 (2006).
- L. Wickham, R.-J. Essiambre, A. H. Gnauck, P. J. Winzer, and A. R. Chraplyvy, `Bit pattern length dependence of intra-channel nonlinearities in pseudo-linear transmission,' Photon. Technol. Lett. 16 pp. 1591-1593 (2004).
- A. Chowdhury and R.-J. Essiambre, `Optical phase conjugation and pseudo-linear transmission,' Opt. Lett. 29, pp. 1105-1107 (2004).
- R.-J. Essiambre, P. J. Winzer, J. Bromage, and C. H. Kim, `Design of bidirectionally pumped fi ber ampli ers generating double Rayleigh backscattering,' Photon. Technol. Lett. 14, pp. 914-916 (2002).
- R.-J. Essiambre, B. Mikkelsen, and G. Raybon, `Intra-channel cross-phase modulation and four-wave mixing in high-speed TDM systems', Electron. Lett. 35, pp. 1576-1578 (1999).
- R.-J. Essiambre and G. P. Agrawal, `Timing jitter of ultrahigh-bit-rate soliton communication systems: I. General formulation and application to dispersion-decreasing fibers', J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, pp. 314-322 (1997).
- R.-J. Essiambre and G. P. Agrawal, `Timing jitter of ultrahigh-bit-rate soliton communication systems: II. Control of jitter by periodic optical phase conjugation', J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, pp. 323-330 (1997).
- R.-J. Essiambre, R. Ryf, and P. J. Winzer, `Multi-mode coherent fiber-optic networks,' issue on 11/20/2013. Patent #JP5420765.
- C. Doerr, R.-J. Essiambre, and R. Ryf, `Multimode optical communication,' issued on 09/17/2013. Patent #US8538275.
- R.-J. Essiambre and C. Xie, `Electronic nonlinearity compensation in optical transmission systems,' issued on 04/16/2013. Patent #US8494368.
- A. Chowdhury, R.-J. Essiambre, and G. Raybon, `Asymmetric long-haul transmission paths with optical phase conjugation,' issued on 03/12/2013. Patent #US8396372.
- R.-J. Essiambre, R. Ryf, and P. J. Winzer, `Receiver for optical transverse-mode-multiplexed signals,' issued on 01/15/2013. Patent #US8355638.
- R.-J. Essiambre and P. Claisse, `Flexible dispersion mapping,' issued on 06/21/2011, US Patent 7965945.
- R.-J. Essiambre and C. Xie, `Intra-channel nonlinearity compensation for optical data communications,' issued on 03/02/2010. US patent 7672599.
- R.-J. Essiambre and A. Chowdhury, `Process for optical communication and system for same,' Chinese Patent 200410044772.1 issued on 04/23/2008 and Japanese patent 4406319 issued on 11/13/2009.
- R.-J. Essiambre and A. Chowdhury, `Processes and systems involving optical phase conjugators,' U.S. patent 7558485 issued on 07/17/2009 and Japanese patent 4327018 issued on 06/19/2009.
- P. J. Winzer and R.-J. Essiambre, `Optimum sample spacing in over-sampled maximum likelihood sequence estimation receivers,' issued on 01/06/2009, US patent 7474860.
- R.-J. Essiambre, P. Claisse and W. Lee, `Con figuring optical launch powers in optical fiber transmission lines,' issued on 05/27/2008, U.S. Patent 7379647.
- R.-J. Essiambre, A. Chowdhury and L. K. Wickham, `Low total excursion dispersion maps,' issued on 11/18/2008. U.S. Patent 7454144.
- R.-J. Essiambre and L. Wickham, `Method and apparatus for extending optical communication,' issued on 04/11/2006, U.S. Patent 7027740.
- T. Nielsen, R.-J. Essiambre and A. Judy, `Dispersion compensation in optical fiber transmission lines,' issued on 09/14/2004, U Patent 6792214.
- C. Brisson, R.-J. Essiambre, and R. M. Jopson, `Method and system for suppressing signal distortions associated with nonlinearity in optical fibers,' issued on 09/07/2004, U.S. Patent 6788833.
- R.-J. Essiambre and P. J. Winzer, `Arrangement for generating chirped return to zero (CRZ) optical data signals,' issued on 02/17/2004, U.S. Patent 6693929.
- R.-J. Essiambre and B. Mikkelsen, `Modulation format with low sensitivity to fiber nonlinearity,' issued on 08/12/2003, U.S. Patent 6606176.
- R.-J. Essiambre, `Optical communications system and method of operation for performance recovery by post-transmission dispersion compensation,' issued on 06/24/2003, U.S. Patent 6583907.
- R.-J. Essiambre and B. Mikkelsen, `High dispersion fibers for high-speed transmission,' U.S. Patent 6542678 issued on 04/01/2003, German and French patent 1246379 issued on 10/29/2003 and Japanese patent 4021690 issued on 10/05/2007.