- Ph.D. (Dr.-Ing.) in Computer Engineering from University of Karlsruhe, Germany, February 1998 (w. honors).
- M.S. (Dipl.-Inform.) in Computer Science from University of Karlsruhe, Germany, September 1994.
- Adjunct Professor at Columbia University, New York, USA (Spring 2005, Spring 2006, and Spring 2007).
- Member of Advisory Board of Computer Science at New Jersey Institute of technology (NJIT)
- Member of the Advisory Board of Number Eight Capital.
- Chair of Internet Technical Committee (ITC), a joint committee of the Internet Society and the IEEE Communications Society (2004-2007).
- Chair of the IETF/OPES Working Group (2002-2007)
- Member of Editorial Board of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking Journal (2007-2010).
- Member of Advisory Editorial Board of Computer Communications Journal (2000-2011).
- Member of International Advisory Board of ICIN Conference (2013-present).
- Member of Advisory Board of CDN 2001 Conference.
- Chair and Member of Program Committee IEEE Global Internet 2002.
- Chair and Member of Program Committee NGC 2001.
- Chair and Member of Program Committee GI Multicast Workshop'99.
- Invited Speaker or Tutorial Speaker at IDMS 2001, ACM Multimedia 2002, NGC 2003, World Wide Web Conference 2004, IEEE ICNP 2004.
- Guest-Editor of Special Issue "The Global Internet", Computer Networks Journal, Volume 45, No. 1, Elsevier Publishing, May 15, 2004.
- Alumni of 2004 Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineers (NAE).
- Member of numerous Program Committees (see private Web page for details.
- Reviewer for ACM Sigcomm, IEEE Infocom, ACM Multimedia, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), IEEE Networking Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Computer Communications Journal, Computer Networks Journal, Annual Simulation Symposium, IEEE Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, International Journal of Network Management.
- Reviewer for Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, CA.
- National Representative of Germany on Cost 264 Management Committee (1998-2002).
For an up-to-date list of my professional activities, please check my personal Web page. at http://www.mhof.com/.
Selected articles and publications
Honors & Awards
- 1998 GI/KuVS Doctoral Dissertation Award for best Ph.D. thesis in Germany in the area of Distributed Systems and Telecommunications (awarded by Special Interest Group 'Communication and Distributed Systems' of the German Society of Computer Science).
- 1998 FZI Doctoral Dissertation Award for best Ph.D. thesis in Computer Science at University of Karlsruhe (awarded by the German Research Center for Computer Science, FZI).
- 2006 Lucent Chairman's Award.
- Triple winner of Bell Labs Teamwork Award (2003, 2004, 2006).
- 2013 Thomas Edison Patent Award (awarded by the Research & Development Council of New Jersey)
- 2020 IEEE Fellow