Marina Thottan is Director of Network Intelligence and Control Systems Research Group in Bell Labs Research, Alcatel-Lucent. She joined Bell Labs Research in 1999, and has contributed to a wide variety of projects, including Online Gaming, Content Distribution, Routing protocols, Data over Optical networks, High Speed Router Design, Network Management and Anomaly Detection. Most recently she has been leading work on Software Defined Networks (SDN), Reliability of SDN networks and Smart Grid Communication Networks and Analytics. Her contributions were recognized by two Bell Labs Teamwork Awards.
Marina received a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Rensselaer in 2000. She has published over 50 papers in scientific journals, book chapters and conferences and holds several patents in the area of network management, interactive network applications, routing algorithms, data analytics and network architectures. She is co-author of the book “Communication Networks for Smart Grids: Making Smart Grids Real” and has also Co-edited a book on “Algorithms for Next Generation Networks”. Marina is currently leading a Data Analytics project with EPB of Chattanooga. She and her team have also consulted with both domestic and international utilities on smart grid network transformation.
Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 2000
M.S. Biomedical Engineering,Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 1996
Selected articles and publications
- A. Vishwanath, V. Sivaraman, M. Thottan, and C. Dovrolis,”Enabling a Bufferless Core Optical Network Using Edge-to-Edge Packet-Level FEC”, Accepted IEEE Trans. Communications, 61 (2): 690-699 (2013)
- F. Fidler, P. J. Winzer, M. Thottan, and K. Bergman, “Impairment-Aware Optical Networking Using Cross-Layer Communication”, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Vol. 5, Issue 2, (Feb 2013)
- Y. J. Kim, J. Lee, G. Atkinson, M. Thottan and H. Kim, “SeDAX: A Scalable, Resilient and Secure Platform for Smart Grid Comunications”, IEEE JSAC (Journal of Special Areas in Communications) Smart Grid Communication Series, July 2012.
- C. P. Lai, F. Fidler, P. J. Winzer, M. Thottan, and K. Bergman, “Cross-Layer Proactive Packet Protection Switching” Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Vol. 4, Issue 10, pp. 847-857 (2012)
- M. Yu, M. Thottan, L. Li, “Latency Equalization As a New Network Service Primitive”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, May 2012
- K. Budka, J. Deshpande, M. Thottan, “Communication Network Transformation for Smart Grid Evolution”, UTC Journal, May 2012
- J. G. Deshpande, E. Kim, M. Thottan, “Differentiated Services QoS in Smart Grid Communication Networks”, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Special Issue on Vertical Markets, December, 2011.
- H. Kim, M. Thottan, “A Two-Stage Market Model for Microgrid Power Transaction via Aggregators”, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Special Issue on Vertical Markets, December 2011.
- Y.J. Kim, V. Kolesnikov, M. Thottan, “A Secure Smart Grid Transport Protocol”, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Special Issue on Vertical Markets, December, 2011.
- Y. Kim, * M. Thottan, V. Kolesnikov, W. Lee, “A Secure Decentralized Data-Centric Information Infrastructure for Smart Grid”, IEEE Communications Magazine, 48(11):58-65, Nov 2010.
- S. Deshpande, M. Thottan, T. Ho and B. Sikdar, “An Online Mechanism for BGP Instability Detection and Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1470-1484, November 2009.
- R.S. Prasad, C. Dovrolis, M. Thottan, “Router Buffer Sizing for TCP Traffic and the Role of the Output/Input Capacity Ratio”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), Oct, 2009
- A. Vishwanath, V. Sivaraman and M. Thottan "Perspectives on Router Buffer Sizing: Recent Results and Open Problems", ACM Computer Communications Review (CCR), 39(2):34-39, Apr 2009.
- Shivani. Deshpande, M. Thottan and Biplab Sikdar, An Online Scheme for the Isolation of BGP Misconfiguration Errors, (accepted) IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 78-90, June 2008.
- Arvinder Pal Wander, Anujan Varma, and Marina Thottan, Traffic Management Framework for Optical Routers with Small Buffers, Journal of Optical Networking Vol. 7, Iss. 11, pp. 958–976 (2008)
- Michel Goemans, Li Li, Vahab Mirrokni and Marina Thottan, Market Sharing Games Applied to Content Distribution in Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE JSAC Special issue on Price-Based Access Control and Economics for Communication Networks, Vol. 24, No.5, May 2006.
- Gokul. Prabhakar, Rajeev. Rastogi and Marina Thottan, Requirements and Specifications for a VoIP OSS. Bell Labs Technical Journal, Published by Wiley Periodicals, Vol (10), No. 1, pp. (31 - 46), Spring 2005
- Marina Thottan, Ken. Swanson, Michael. Cantone, Tin. K. Ho, Jennifer Ren, and Sanjoy Paul, SEQUIN: An SNMP-based MPLS Network Monitoring System. Bell Labs Technical Journal, Published by Wiley Periodicals, Vol (8), No. 1, pp. (95-111), 2003
- Marina Thottan and Chuanyi Ji, Anomaly Detection in IP Networks. IEEE Transactions in Signal Processing, Vol (51), No. 8, August 2003.
- Marina Thottan and Chuanyi Ji, Using Network Fault Prediction to Enable IP Traffic Management. Journal of Network and Systems Management, Special Issue on IP Operations and Management, Vol (9), No. 3, September 2002
- Marina Thottan and Chuanyi Ji, Statistical Detection of Enterprise Network Problems. Journal of Network and Systems Management, Special Issue on Enterprise Network and Systems Management, Vol (7), No.1, March 1999.
- Marina Thottan and Chuanyi Ji, Proactive Anomaly Detection Using Distributed Intelligent Agents. IEEE Network, Special Issue on Network Management, Sept/Oct 1998.
- System And Method For Enabling A Buffer Less Or Substantially Buffer Less Core Network
- Cloud-Based Demand Response
- Lightweight Bandwidth-Management Scheme For Elastic Traffic
- Methods And Devices For Providing Ingress Routing In Selective Randomized Load Balancing
- Enabling A Bufferless Core Network Using Edgeto-Edge Packet-Level FEC
- Methods And Apparatus For Instability Detection In Inter-Domain Routing
- The Effective Way To Enable Publisher/Subscriber Communication
- Adapting Router Buffers For Energy Efficiency
- Method for Disaggregating Appliance Usage from Smart Meter Data