Dr. Majid Butt received PhD and MS degrees in telecommunication from Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway and Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany, respectively. He is senior research specialist 5G+ at Nokia Bell Labs, France. He is an adjunct Asst Professor at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. Before that, he has held various research positions at University of Glasgow, UK, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland and Qatar University. He is recipient of Marie curie Alain Bensoussan postdoctoral fellowship from European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) in 2011. He held ERCIM postdoc fellow positions at Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute, Germany, and interdisciplinary center for research in Security, Reliability and Trust at University of Luxembourg. Dr. Majid’s major areas of research interest include communication techniques for wireless networks, focusing mainly on radio resource allocation, scheduling algorithms, cooperative communications, cross layer design, energy harvesting and green communication techniques. He has authored more than 60 peer reviewed conference and journal articles in these areas. He is a senior member of IEEE and serves as an associate editor for IEEE Access journal and IEEE communication magazine since 2016.
PhD telecommunications from Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Senior Member IEEE
Selected articles and publications
- M. Majid Butt, Indrakshi Dey, Merim Dzaferagic, Maria Murphy, Nicholas Kaminski, and Nicola Marchetti, "Agent-Based Modelling Approach for Distributed Decision Support in an IoT Network", accepted in IEEE Internet of things journal,2020.
- Andrea Bonfante, Lorenzo Galati Giordano, David Lopez-Perez, Adrian Garcia-Rodriguez, Giovanni Geraci, Paolo Baracca, M. Majid Butt, and Nicola Marchetti "5G Massive MIMO Architectures: Self-Backhauled Small Cells versus Direct Access ", IEEE trans. vehicular technologies, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 10003-10017, Oct. 2019.
- Indrakshi Dey, Pierluigi Salvo Rosii, M. Majid Butt, and Nicola Marchetti, "Virtual MIMO Wireless Sensor Networks: Propagation Measurements and Fusion Performance", accepted in IEEE trans. Antennas & Propagation.
- Indrakshi Dey, M. Majid Butt, and Nicola Marchetti, "Throughput Analysis for Virtual MIMO WSNs over Measured MIMO Channels", IEEE trans. Instrumentation & Measurement, vol. 68 , no. 1, Jan 2019.
- M. Majid Butt, Irene Macaluso, Carlo Galiotto and Nicola Marchetti, “Fair Dynamic Spectrum Management in Licensed Shared Access Systems”, accepted in IEEE Systems Journal, Sep 2018.
- M. Majid Butt, Irene Macaluso, Eduard A. Jorswieck, Julie Bradford, Nicola Marchetti and Linda Doyle “Spectrum Matching in Licensed Spectrum Sharing”, transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies (ETT), vol 29, no. 10, Oct 2018.
- M. Majid Butt, Eduard A. Jorswieck, and Nicola Marchetti, "On Optimizing Power Allocation For Reliable Communication over Fading Channels with Uninformed Transmitter", IEEE trans. Wireless communications, vol. 17, no. 10, pp 6617-6629, Oct 2018.
- Ramy Amer, M. Majid Butt, Mehdi Bennis and Nicola Marchetti, "Inter-cluster Cooperation for Wireless D2D Caching Networks", IEEE trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 6108-6121, Sept. 2018.
- M. Majid Butt, Eduard A. Jorswieck and Amr Mohamed, "Energy and Bursty Packet Loss Tradeoff Over Fading Channels: A System-Level Model”, IEEE Systems journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 527-538, March 2018.
- C. Galiotto, G. K. Papageorgiouy, K. Voulgarisy, M. Majid Butt, N. Marchetti, and C. B. Papadias, "Unlocking the Deployment of Spectrum Sharing with a Policy Enforcement Framework", IEEE Access, Vol. 6, no. 1, pp 11793-11803, Jan 2018.
- M. Majid Butt, Petar Popovski, M. Zeeshan Shakir, David Lopez Perez, Tony Quek and Mohsen Guizani, "Physical and Medium Access Control Layer Advances in 5G Wireless Networks", IEEE Access (editorial), vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-5, Dec, 2017.
- Mahmoud Ashour, M. Majid Butt, Amr Mohamed, Tamer ElBatt and Marwan Kunz” Energy-aware Cooperative Wireless Networks with Multiple Cognitive Users”, IEEE trans. Communications, vol. 64, no. 8, pp 3233-3245, Aug 2016.
- M. Majid Butt, Ahmed M. Salama, Amr Mohamed and Mohsen Guizani “Relay Selection to Minimize Outage Probability in Wireless Powered Communication Networks”, IET Signal processing, special issue on signal processing in large scale 5G wireless networks, vol. 10, no. 3, pp 203-209, May, 2016.
- Imran Ahmed, M. Majid Butt, Constantinos Psomas, Amr Mohamed, Ioannis Krikidis and Mohsen Guizani, “ Survey on Energy Harvesting Wireless Communications: Challenges and Opportunities for Radio Resource Allocation”, Elsevier Computer Networks, Vol. 88, pp. 234-248, Sep 2015.
- M. Majid Butt, Eduard A. Jorswieck and Bjorn Ottersten, "Maximizing Energy Efficiency in Multiple Access Channels by Exploiting Packet Dropping and Transmitter Buffering", IEEE trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 4129 - 4141, Aug. 2015.
- M. Majid Butt, Ralf R. Müller, Kimmo Kansanen “Individual Packet Deadline Delay Constrained Opportunistic Scheduling for large multiuser systems” Eurasip journal on wireless communications and networking, 2014, 2014: 65.
- M. Majid Butt and Eduard A. Jorswieck, "Maximizing System Energy Efficiency by Exploiting Multiuser Diversity and Loss Tolerance of the Applications", IEEE trans. wireless communications. vol. 12, no.9, pp 4392-4401, Sep., 2013.
- M. Majid Butt, Dzevdan Kapetanovic, Bjorn Ottersten, "Maximizing Minimum Throughput Guarantees: The Small Violation Probability Region", IEEE Wireless Communication Letters , vol. 2, no. 3, pp 271-274, June, 2013.
- M. Majid Butt, “Energy-Performance Trade-offs in Multiuser Scheduling: Large System Analysis”, IEEE Wireless Communication Letters, vol. 1, no. 3, pp 217-220, June, 2012.
- Justus Ch. Fricke, M. Majid Butt and Peter A. Hoeher, “Quality Oriented Adaptive Forwarding for Wireless Relaying”, IEEE Communication Letters, Vol. 12, pp. 200-202, March 2008.