Lutz Ewe is a research engineer in End-To-End Mobile Networks Research at Nokia Bell Labs, Stuttgart, Germany. After pursuing his diploma degree in 1995, he joined the Fraunhofer Institute of Microelectronic Circuits and Systems in Duisburg, Germany. He worked on the development of implantable micro systems for a functional electro-stimulation of retinal nerve cells which became the subject of his dissertation. In 2001 he joined the research center of Alcatel SEL in Stuttgart, Germany. He was engaged in the development of lithographically structured sub-mounts for components of optical and electrical high-speed communications. Since 2003 he is with the department of wireless research – now part of Bell Labs – and is engaged in research on different aspects of future radio technologies. His research focus comprises (but is not limited to) methods of Self-Organizing-Networks (SON) for self-optimization and self-configuration of Radio Access Networks (RANs), methods for localization of mobile terminals in RANs, radio resource selection strategies for 5G networks, and system level simulations of RANs.
University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany.
Doctoral degree in electrical engineering (Dr.-Ing.), 2000.
Research area: biomedical micro system technology.
Dissertation: "Entwicklung und Charakterisierung CMOS-kompatibler dreidimensionaler Mikro-Stimulationselektroden-Arrays". Available online at: https://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/servlets/DerivateServlet/Derivate-5135/index.html (abstract in English).
University of Giessen, Germany. Diploma degree in Physics (Dipl.-Phys.), 1995.
Research area: scanning probe microscopy (applied physics).
Thesis: “Entwicklung und Test eines Rasterkraftmikroskops mit optischer Ausleseeinheit zum Einsatz für lokale Magnetfeldanalysen”.
Selected articles and publications
- Lutz Ewe, Hardy Halbauer; “The Density of Millimeter Wave Access Points in Dense Urban Areas and Its Effect on Link Availability in the Presence of Blocking”; IEEE 87th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring) 2018, Porto, Portugal; IEEE Conference Publications; pp. 1-5
- Lutz Ewe, Roland Moedinger, Hajo Bakker; “Mobile User Hotspot Detection in LTE Networks by Moving Pseudo Pico Cells”; European Wireless Conference (EW) 2016, Oulu, Finland; Conference Proc.; VDE Conference Publications ; pp. 1-6
- Lutz Ewe, Hajo Bakker; “Base station distributed handover optimization in LTE self-organizing networks”; IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC) 2011, Toronto, Canada; IEEE Conference Publications; pp. 243-347
- Christian M. Mueller, Hajo Bakker, Lutz Ewe; “Evaluation of the Automatic Neighbor Relation Function in a Dense Urban Scenario”, IEEE 73rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring) 2011, Budapest, Hungary; IEEE Conference Publications, pp. 1-5
- Danish Aziz, Anton Ambrosy, Lester T. W. Ho, Lutz Ewe, Markus Gruber, Hajo Bakker; “Autonomous neighbor relation detection and handover optimization in LTE”; Bell Labs Technical Journal; vol. 15; issue 3; 2010; pp. 63-83
- Christian G. Gerlach, Ingo Karla, Andreas Weber, Lutz Ewe, Hajo Bakker, Edgar Kuehn, Anil Rao; “ICIC in DL and UL with network distributed and self-organized resource assignment algorithms in LTE”; Bell Labs Technical Journal; vol. 15; issue 3; 2010; pp. 43-62
- Christian M. Mueller, Lutz Ewe, Rolf Sigle; “Signaling Analysis for Multi-Radio Management”; IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference 2009, Budapest, Hungary; IEEE Conference Publications; pp. 1-6
(Active patents and published patent applications)
- Lutz Ewe, Siegfried Klein, Bernd Gloss, Gerhard Schreiber, Hajo Bakker, Ingo Karla, Oliver Blume; “Apparatus, Mobile Device, Method and Computer Program for Determining a Location of a Base Station Transceiver”; Publication No. EP2846571; 2015
- Siegfried Klein, Edgar Kühn, Lutz Ewe, Hajo Bakker; “Method for installing a base station in a mobile communication system”; Publication No. EP2846575; 2015
- Hajo Bakker, Lutz Ewe, Markus Gruber; “Method for performing a handover of a mobile device”; Publication No. EP2482588; 2016
- Lutz Ewe, Hajo Bakker; “Automatic neighbor relation table setup”; Publication No. EP2453692; 2013
- Hajo-Erich Bakker, Lutz Ewe, Siegfried Klein, Ulrich Barth; „Call drop avoidance during radio link failure“; Publication No. EP2592865; 2013
- Hajo Bakker, Danish Aziz, Lutz Ewe, “Method of performing a handover procedure in a wireless telecommunication network”; Publication No. EP2385725; 2011
- Lutz Ewe, Rolf Sigle; “Apparatus and method for handling mobile terminal capability information”; Publication No. EP2031921, 2009