Jürgen Sienel, born 1965 in Esslingen/Neckar, Germany, finished his studies of Computer Science at the University of Stuttgart in 1992 with a Diplom-Informatiker degree and is working since then in Alcatel Research & Innovation, now Bell Labs.
After working several years on digital signal processing, speech recognition and multi-modal systems including contributing to W3C standardisation, he joined in 2005 the Intelligent IP Infrastructure (I3) project on new NGN communication infrastructure elements and services, like the enhancement of IMS/TISPAN related architectures for service execution support, peer-to-peer systems and was responsible for voice over IP peering solutions. In 2007 the group became part of the Bell-Labs Service Infrastructure research domain.
After working on service architectures for user-generated services using light-weight service components, he joined the multimedia domain were he worked on a distributed system approach for multimedia processing (MediaCloud).
He has successfully led Alcatel-Lucent’s participation in the IST FP6 project OPUCE, developing a platform for managing user generated services. Before he contributed to other funded research activities like SMADA and MAP, has been invited to be a member of the industrial advisory board of the EU project COMIC. He was acting as technical expert and project reviewer in the FP7 research program on invitation of the European Commission.
He has authored and co-authored more than 15 conference papers, articles and similar publication and has filed more than 40 patents. He was contributing to the ETSI subgroup Aurora on Distributed Speech Recognition, where Alcatel succeeded to standardize a noise-robust front-end, which has been adopted by 3GPP in 2003. Between 2003 and 2005 he was representing Alcatel in the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C) working group on multimodal interaction (MMI), where he contributed to the Delivery Context Interfaces (DCI), which is a W3C candidate recommendation since 2007. He is member of the German association of computer science (Gesellschaft für Informatik).
Diploma degree in computer science from the University of Stuttgart 1992 (Dipl.-Inform)
- Member of the scientific committee for the ISCA tutorial and research workshop on "Advanced ASR for Telecom Applications" 2003
- Program Committee Member of 3rd International Conference on Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction (UAHCI) 2005 Special Session on "Multilingual, Multimodal User Interfaces and Avatars"
- Program Committee Member of the Telecom Service Oriented Architecture Workshop in conjunction with the International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2007, September 2007, Vienna, Austria
- Technical expert and project reviewer in the FP7 research program on invitation of the European Commission
Selected articles and publications
- Juan C. Yelmo , Rubén Trapero , José M. del Álamo , Juergen Sienel , Marc Drewniok , Isabel Ordás and Kathleen McCallum “User-Driven Service Lifecycle Management – Adopting Internet Paradigms in Telecom Services”, International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing – ICSOC, 2007, LNCS 4749, pp. 342–352, 2007, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2007
- Marc Drewniok, Massimo Maresca, Sancho Rego, Juergen Sienel, Michele Stecca, “Experiments and Performance Evaluation of Event Driven Mashups”, IEEE Workshop on Performance evaluation of communications in distributed systems and Web based service architectures, June 2009, Sousse, Tunisia
- Heid, Ulrich; André Blessing; Bettina Säuberlich; Jürgen Sienel; Horst Rößler; Dieter Kopp. „A personalized multimodal news service“. In: Bernhard Fisseni, Hans-Christian Schmitz, Bernhard Schröder, Petra Wagner (Hgg.). Sprachtechnologie, mobile Kommunikation und linguistische Ressourcen – Beitrage zur GLDV-Tagung 2005 in Bonn, Vol.8. Frankfurt/M.: Peter Lang, Europäischer Verlag der Wissenschaften, 65-77
- Jürgen Sienel, Dieter Kopp, Horst Rössler: , W3C Workshop on Multimodal Interaction, Sophia Antipolis, France, June 2004
- H. Rössler, J. Sienel, W. Wajda, J. Hoffmann, M. Kostrzewa: Multimodal Interaction for Mobile Environments, International Workshop on Information Presentation and Natural Multimodal Dialogue, Verona, Italy, December 2001
- B. Noe, J. Sienel, D. Jouvet, L. Mauuary, L. Boves, J. de Veth & F. de Wet: Noise Reduction for Noise Robust Feature Extraction for Distributed Speech Recognition, Proceedings of Eurospeech 2001, Aalborg, Denmark, pp. 433-436.
- EP2112803: "Attack Protection for a Packet-Based network", WAHL, Stefan; DOMSCHITZ, Peter; SIENEL, Juergen; NOE, Bernhard
- EP1513320:"Interaction server", KOPP, Dieter; SIENEL, Juergen; BALES, Volker; WAJDA, Wieslawa
- EP 2059001B:"Multi-type SIP Element", DREWNIOK, Marc; SIENEL, Juergen, STEINBRENNER, Michael, SCHUMANN, Roberto
- EP1885101B1:"Method of providing a telecommunication service by dynamically controlling query responses", SIENEL, Juergen, DREWNIOK, Marc
- EP1881676B1:"Distributed Presence Management in Peer-to-Peer Networks", SIENEL, Juergen, TOMSU, Marco; DOMSCHITZ, Peter
- EP1876788B1:"Distributed Hashing Mechanism for self-organizing networks",TOMSU, Marco, Strauss, Thomas; KESSLER, Marcus, SCHWAN, Nico, SIENEL, Juergen
- EP1599007B1:"Method and server for providing a multi-modal dialog", SIENEL, Juergen; ROESSLER, Horst; NEUBAUER, Daniel
- EP1168737B8: "Telecommunication system, and switch, and server, and method", SIENEL, Juergen; KOPP, Dieter; KNOBLICH, Ulf
- EP1168303B1: "Control of resources of a distributed speech recognition system",
SIENEL, Juergen; KOPP, Dieter; KNOBLICH, Ulf
- EP000000704803B1:"Flash-memory management method", KOPP, Dieter; SIENEL, Juergen
Honors & Awards
Alcatel-Lucent Technical Academy 2005-2012