Ester Gonzalez-Sosa joined the Distributed Reality Solutions team in Bell Labs Madrid in 2017, where she investigates immersive video analytics. She received her M.Sc in Electrical Engineering from Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in 2012 and her PhD from Universidad Autonoma de Madrid in 2017, the latter within the Biometrics and Data Pattern Analytics (BiDA-Lab) entitled "Face and Body Biometrics in the Wild: Advances in the Visible Spectrum and Beyond", reaching Cum Laude. She has carried out several research internships in worldwide leading groups in biometric recognition such as TNO, EURECOM, or Rutgers University. Her research interests include machine learning, computer vision, pattern recognition, and deep learning. I am currently working on:
- Biometric recognition: exploring new additional identity clues such as soft biometrics (complementary information about a subject such as demographic information or facial accessories) or body information extracted at long distances to aid face recognition in unconstrained scenario. I have also explored mmW imaging for person recognition purposes.
- Segmentation: in the context of Distributed Reality, I am interested in segmentation methods to be able to segment objects from egocentric videos (point of view of a user wearing HMD). I have been exploring chroma-based, depth-based or semantic-segmentation methods based on deep learning.
- June 2017, PhD, "Face and Body Biometrics in the Wild: Advances in the Visible Spectrum and Beyond" (Cum Laude), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Master's Degree in ICT Research and Innovation, Master Thesis: "Feature Extraction for Biometric Recognition Using Millimetre-Wave Images" Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- MSc Electrical Engineering, Master Thesis "Interoperability Study on Hand Shape Biometric Recognition System", Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Selected articles and publications
Selected publication(see google scholar profile)
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, J. Fierrez, R. Vera-Rodriguez and F. Alonso-Fernandez, "Facial Soft Biometrics for Recognition in the Wild: Recent Works, Annotation and COTS Evaluation", IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 13, n. 7, 2018
- E Gonzalez-Sosa, R Vera-Rodriguez, J Fierrez, J Ortega-Garcia, Exploring facial regions in unconstrained scenarios: Experience on Icb-Rw.IEEE Intelligent Systems 33 (3), 60-63
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Fierrez and V. M. Patel, "Exploring Body Shape from mmW Images for Person Recognition", IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 12, n. 9, pp. 2078-2089, September 2017
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Fierrez, M. Moreno-Moreno and J. Ortega-Garcia, "Feature exploration for biometric recognition using millimetre wave body images", EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, Vol. 30, December 2015
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Fierrez and V. Patel, "Person Recognition Beyond the Visible Spectrum: Combining Body Shape and Texture from mmW images", in Proc. IAPR Intl. Conf. on Biometrics, ICB, February 2018 (Honorable Mention)
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Fierrez and V. M. Patel, "Millimetre Wave Person Recognition: Hand-crafted vs Learned Features", in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Identity, Security and Behavior Analysis, ISBA, New Delhi (India), February 2017
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, A. Dantcheva, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Dugelay, F. Bremond and J. Fierrez, "Image-based Gender Estimation from Body and Face across Distances", in Proc. International Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR, Cancun (Mexico), December 2016
- E. Gonzalez-Sosa, R. Vera-Rodriguez, J. Fierrez and J. Ortega-Garcia, "Comparison of Body Shape Descriptors for Biometric Recognition using MMW images", in Proc. International Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR, Stockholm, Sweden, 2014.
Honors & Awards
- September 2018,European Association on Biometrics Research Award for her thesis entitled "Face and Body Biometrics in the Wild: Visible and Beyond"
- February 2018, Honorable Mention Award for the work entitled "Person Recognition Beyond The Visible Spectrum: Combining Body Shape and Texture from mmW images"
- June 2013, UNITECO AWARD from the Spanish Association of Electrical Engineers
- June 2012, La Caixa Social Project for Scholarship for MSc Studies at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid