Adriaan J. (de Lind) van Wijngaarden is with Nokia Bell Labs, in Murray Hill, NJ. He received an engineering degree in electrical engineering from Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, and a doctorate in engineering from the University of Essen, Germany. From 1992-1998, he was a Research Engineer with the Digital Communications Group at the Institute for Experimental Mathematics, University of Essen, Germany. He joined Bell Labs in 1998, where he has been deeply engaged in both theoretical and application-driven research in communications, information theory and coding. He provided key contributions to recording systems, high-speed optical systems and broadband access. He has authored more than 78 technical papers, holds more than 64 patents, and has more than 20 patents pending.
Dr. De Lind van Wijngaarden is a Senior Member of the IEEE, a Senior Member of the OSA, and a member of the ACM. He has served as a Publication Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory from 2005 until 2008, and as an Associate Editor (Communications) of the same journal from 2008 until 2011. He has co-organized Shannon Day at Bell Labs in 1998 and several workshops, and served on the technical program committee of several international conferences. Since 2011, he has been a member of the Executive Committee of the IEEE North Jersey Section, and served as its Chair in 2015-2016. Since 2013, he has a member of the IEEE Metropolitan Sections Activities Council, and currently serves as its Chair. He has been a member of the IEEE Region 1 Board of Governors since 2014. Since 2014, he has also served as a member of the IEEE MGA ITCO and vTools Committees.
- IEEE (S'87, M'98, SM'03); IEEE Societies (Information Theory, Communications, Computer, Optics, CAS, VTS, BT, RAS, SP, CE)
- OSA (Senior Member)
Selected articles and publications
- W. Coomans, R. Moraes, K. Hooghe, A. Duque, J. Galaro, M. Timmers, A.J. van Wijngaarden, M. Guenach, and J. Maes, "XG-Fast: the 5th generation broadband,", IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 83-88, Dec. 2015.
- D. Suvakovic and A.J. van Wijngaarden, "RAM-based micro-architecture for a high-throughput interconnection network," in Proc. 36th Sarnoff Symp., Newark, NJ, Sep. 2015.
- L. Schmalen, A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, and S. ten Brink, "Forward error correction in optical code and optical access networks", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 39-66, Dec. 2013. [abstract], [html], [pdf]
- N.P. Anthapadmanabhan, N. Dinh, A. Walid, and A.J. van Wijngaarden, "Analysis of a probing-based cyclic sleep mechanism for passive optical networks," in Proc. IEEE Global Commun. Conf., Dec. 2013.
- T. Ota, H. Morita, and A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, "Real-time and memory-efficient arrhythmia detection in ECG monitors using antidictionary coding," IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Electron, and Commun.,vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 2343-2350, Dec. 2013.
- P.A. Whiting, G. Kramer, C.J. Nuzman, A. Ashikhmin, A.J. van Wijngaarden and M. Zivkovic, "Analysis of inverse crosstalk channel estimation using SNR feedback",IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, pp. 1102-1115, Mar. 2011.
- K. Nithi and A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden,"Smart power management for mobile handsets", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 15, no. 4, Feb. 2011, pp. 149-168.
- M. Magarini, R.-J. Essiambre, B.E. Basch, A. Ashikhmin, G. Kramer and A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden,"Concatenated coded modulation for optical communications systems", IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 22, no. 16, pp. 1244-1246, Aug. 2010.
- A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, B. Erman, E. Matthews, R. Sharp, and E. Sutter,"Multi-stream video conferencing over a peer-to-peer network", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 15, no. 2, Aug. 2010.
- A.J. van Wijngaarden and K.A. Schouhamer Immink,"Construction of maximum run-length limited codes using sequence replacement techniques", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,. vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 200-207, Feb. 2010.
- Z. Ma, M. Zierdt, J. Pastalan, A. Siegel, T. Sizer, A. J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, P. R. Kasireddy, and D. M. Samardzija,"RadioStar - providing wireless coverage over gigabit ethernet, Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 8-24, May 2009.
- C. Storry, M. Zivkovic, J. Verlinden, and A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, "Aspects of dynamic spectrum management level 3",Bell Labs Techn. Journal,,vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 117-127, May 2008.
- M. Zivkovic, G. Kramer, C. Nuzman, C. Posthuma, J. Wheeler, and A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden,"Performance of digital subscriber line spectrum optimization algorithms", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 129-145, May 2008.
- P. Whiting, A. Ashikhmin, S. Borst, J. Jennen, G. Kramer, A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, and M. Zivkovic, "Performance results for digital subscriber line precoders", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 147-161, May 2008.
- A. Ashikhmin, A.J. de Lind van Wijngaarden, Z. Haibo, B. Hochwald, T.L. Marzetta, V. Purohit, C. Qinghong, P.A. Wilford, S.-R. Zhou, M.A. Zuniga and Edward S. Zuranski, "Design and development of a terrestrial digital video broadcast demodulation core", Bell Labs Techn. Journal,, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 97-118, Aug. 2007.
- X. Liu, C.R. Giles, X. Wei, A.J. van Wijngaarden, Y.-H. Kao, C. Xie, L. Moeller and I. Kang,
"Demonstration of broad-band PMD mitigation in the presence of PDL through distributed fast polarization scrambling and forward-error correction",IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1109-1111, May 2005.
- X. Liu, C. Xie and A.J. van Wijngaarden,"Multichannel PMD mitigation and outage reduction through FEC with sub-burst-error-correction-period PMD scrambling", IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2183-2185, Sept. 2004.
- G. Kramer, A. Ashikhmin, A.J. van Wijngaarden and X. Wei, "Spectral efficiency of coded phase-shift keying in fiber-optic communication", IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 2438-2445, Oct. 2003.
- A.J. van Wijngaarden and H. Morita,"Partial-prefix synchronizable codes", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1839-1848, July 2001.
- A.J. van Wijngaarden and K.A. Schouhamer Immink, "Maximum runlength-limited codes with error control capabilities", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 602-611, Apr. 2001.
- E. Soljanin and A.J. van Wijngaarden, "Application of distance enhancing codes", IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 762-767, Mar. 2001.
- A.J. van Wijngaarden and E. Soljanin, "A combinatorial technique for constructing high rate MTR-RLL codes", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 582-588, Apr. 2001.
- A.J. van Wijngaarden and T.J. Willink, "Frame synchronization using distributed sequences", IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2127-2138, Dec. 2000.
- A.J. Han Vinck and A.J. van Wijngaarden,"On synchronization for burst transmission", IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, vol. E80-A, no. 11, pp. 2130-2135, Nov. 1997.
- H. Morita, A.J. van Wijngaarden, and A.J. Han Vinck, "On the construction of maximal prefix-synchronized codes", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2158-2166, Nov. 1996.
- K.A. Schouhamer Immink and A.J. van Wijngaarden,"Simple high-rate constrained codes", IEE Electronics Letters, vol. 32, no. 20, p. 1877, Sept. 1996.
64 patents - to be added.
Honors & Awards
- 2014 IEEE COMSOC Globecom Best Industry Paper Award - XG-FAST: Towards 10 Gb/s Copper Access - Dec. 2014
- GreenTouch 1000X Award - for the invention of the Bi-PON protocol and sustained leadership, technical excellence and promotion of the technology of future access networks - Nov. 2014
- 2011 Bell Labs President's Award for developing the world's first vectoring and phantom mode linecard
- Bell Labs Teamwork Award - 10 Gbit/s symmetrical XGPON2 - Dec. 2010
- Bell Labs Teamwork Award - crosstalk cancellation and phantom mode transmission - Sep. 2010
- Bell Labs Teamwork Award - Differential Phase Shift Keying - June 2002
- 2008 Bell Labs Grand Challenge "Cooler Networks" (2nd Place)
- 2010 Broadband Infovision Award - DSL Phantom Mode demonstration
- 2017 Princeton/Central Jersey Section Friend of the Section Award
- 2013 IEEE MGA Outstanding Large Section Award (2012 Secretary; 2013 First Vice-Chair)
- 2012 IEEE Region 1 Award for Outstanding Leadership to the IEEE North Jersey Section